ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: rider question protocol  (Read 9199 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: rider question protocol
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2019, 04:36:58 PM »

I've got at least one SPX90 in my basement.  I loved them for my guitar rig back in the day, so I hold on to it for nostalgic reasons.

full disclosure...  i used a REX50 [basically a desk top SPX90] for a few years as my main guitar processor.  Still love the Symphonic chorus sound...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »

I see lots of bashing of TM/BE/Management on this thread, which I get as there are many times where communication is poor and unnecessary items are rented or provided and not needed or understood, and it's a wast of time and money, not to mention super frustrating.  And old documents....yes that is beyond annoying.

However, it is equally as frustrating to be on a tour and send out up to date documents, be chasing a provider or local promoter and be promised things you need for a show only to get there and not see them. 

Many people struggle with this communication and obviously $ and the bottom line is a factor but more often than not when communication is done properly everyone will be happy, even if compromises are to be made on both sides.

JF

Hi John-

The requests for something off the wall don't come like they did in the Ye Olde Analogue Dayz but they still happen.  The difference is that most of the time the item is genuinely needed and the touring person is happy to see it.

There is terrible communication between agents and the tour.  I suspect it's partly because agents do silly things and don't like to be told so... 

A decent advance call can make most of the unnecessary rentals go away; unfortunately some promoters make it difficult to contact the appropriate tour personnel because the promoter is afraid the production costs will go up.  In this model everyone looses, and that's not the way to put on a show.

Safe travels to you. :)

Tim Mc

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James A. Griffin

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »

There is terrible communication between agents and the tour.  I suspect it's partly because agents do silly things and don't like to be told so... 

A decent advance call can make most of the unnecessary rentals go away; unfortunately some promoters make it difficult to contact the appropriate tour personnel because the promoter is afraid the production costs will go up.  In this model everyone looses, and that's not the way to put on a show.
Tim Mc

Most promoters in my area fwd the rider sent by the management company and / or TM and fully expect me to contact TM with questions which are usually unanswerable by the promoter.

And do not forget that  Page One of the TM Handbooks clearly states:  "NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances will you provide an accurate Tech Rider to the Production Company".
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 10:33:51 PM »

Most promoters in my area fwd the rider sent by the management company and / or TM and fully expect me to contact TM with questions which are usually unanswerable by the promoter.

And do not forget that  Page One of the TM Handbooks clearly states:  "NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances will you provide an accurate Tech Rider to the Production Company".
Until you find out the one that was letter accurate is the one the venue manager signed without reading.

Yeah it says you agreed to provide 200 amps 3 phase, so I guess you are looking last minute to rent a generator.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Matt Greiner

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »

A venue I work with quite frequently is starting to get more B and C level nationals.  One of the ones they are currently working on,  the artists management won't even open or consider their offer until I provide my tech specs to them.  I have the ability, as we all do, to be able to meet any rider if given the requirements.

Is this a common occurrence?

For all the past shows I've done, I've always been given a copy of their rider and negotiated back and forth.  And it's never been a problem.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 03:41:40 PM »

A venue I work with quite frequently is starting to get more B and C level nationals.  One of the ones they are currently working on,  the artists management won't even open or consider their offer until I provide my tech specs to them.  I have the ability, as we all do, to be able to meet any rider if given the requirements.

For all the past shows I've done, I've always been given a copy of their rider and negotiated back and forth.  And it's never been a problem.

No.  They should provide a rider which either you can or can’t meet.  At that point it’s usually a call to the band engineer to find out what they can and will accept, (usually a lot less than on the rider).  I’ve heard of some people being difficult about it, but more often than not much can be negotiated.  Ultimately everyone wants the show to go ahead because it’s money and everyone wants to earn. 😁

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »

One of the ones they are currently working on,  the artists management won't even open or consider their offer until I provide my tech specs to them.

And I wonder why more venues don't have their Tech Specs posted online, so a determination can be made early in the process as to what, if anything, might need to be supplemented?

Is this secret stuff?  Fear of inadequacy? A line can always be added to the effect of "full line of supplementary gear available upon request...".

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John L Nobile

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »

I keep an up to date list of gear I have on property with weblinks for my Danley speakers. After I get the bands rider, I email that to the BE. He then knows what we have and can email me any questions and if I'll need to rent any gear for him. Occasionally it's for a FOH/monitor desk upgrade. X32's are beneath some people.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 04:48:29 PM »

The entertainment buyer should insist on an appropriate rider as part of artist management's offer.  No consideration of booking the act without it, no deal memo initialed.

That said, I suspect the artist (or the production manager or mixerperson) has been burned several times in different ways - a polite way of saying they were lied to and resulted in uncomfortable conversations with the band, management, or both.

Something not in your favor is that your venue doesn't have current "road cred" for presenting higher levels of performers.  Until there is track record of production success there will be more scrutiny.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »

And I wonder why more venues don't have their Tech Specs posted online, so a determination can be made early in the process as to what, if anything, might need to be supplemented?

Is this secret stuff?  Fear of inadequacy? A line can always be added to the effect of "full line of supplementary gear available upon request...".

Dave

One of our venues has their tech info on line, another sends it via email.  Neither are 100% correct and they were updated less than 45 days ago, kind of like band riders but fresher.  ::)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.