Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

SO (O)W for exterior use?

(1/3) > >>

David Allred:
Is this the best option for +5 to +110 air temps in full sun, contact with metal plate (in said sun) and rain, snow, & ice?   Permanent install.  Probably 12"-18" max exposure from exterior plug box to under protective (damage and theft) cover.
I've seen some reference that the E and T versions are also good, but SOW or SOOW seem to be the best.

Will it (or any) withstand weed eater line?  Or do I need to add a sleeve for protection?

thanks

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: David Allred on April 23, 2019, 02:46:56 pm ---Is this the best option for +5 to +110 air temps in full sun, contact with metal plate (in said sun) and rain, snow, & ice?   Permanent install.  Probably 12"-18" max exposure from exterior plug box to under protective (damage and theft) cover.
I've seen some reference that the E and T versions are also good, but SOW or SOOW seem to be the best.

Will it (or any) withstand weed eater line?  Or do I need to add a sleeve for protection?

thanks

--- End quote ---

Flexible cord is never supposed to be used in place of a permanent wiring method.

I wouldn’t trust the rubber jacket against a weed eater.

David Allred:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on April 23, 2019, 03:40:03 pm ---Flexible cord is never supposed to be used in place of a permanent wiring method.

I wouldn’t trust the rubber jacket against a weed eater.

--- End quote ---
I agree in principle, but for an outdoor fixture with a flexible cable gland for power connection assumes that the user will use a flexible cable.

Stephen Swaffer:
I happened to change a lamp in a pole top fixture Saturday that the POCO wired with SO cable.  I know that fixture has been in place over a decade and the SO was still in good shape-but it certainly never tangled with a weedeater.  I would sleeve it with something-the easiest to be code compliant would be FNMC (flexible non-metallic conduit)-though a weedeater will eventually eat up that as well.  That's a pretty common setup for an adjustable fixture.

Rob Spence:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on April 23, 2019, 04:42:29 pm ---I happened to change a lamp in a pole top fixture Saturday that the POCO wired with SO cable.  I know that fixture has been in place over a decade and the SO was still in good shape-but it certainly never tangled with a weedeater.  I would sleeve it with something-the easiest to be code compliant would be FNMC (flexible non-metallic conduit)-though a weedeater will eventually eat up that as well.  That's a pretty common setup for an adjustable fixture.

--- End quote ---

And don’t forget that the POCO does not have to comply with the NEC so they do pretty much what they want.

PVC flex is appropriate for outdoor installs.  Stainless metallic flex will withstand weed walkers but neither will survive actual lawn mowers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version