ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SO (O)W for exterior use?  (Read 3556 times)

David Allred

SO (O)W for exterior use?
« on: April 23, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »

Is this the best option for +5 to +110 air temps in full sun, contact with metal plate (in said sun) and rain, snow, & ice?   Permanent install.  Probably 12"-18" max exposure from exterior plug box to under protective (damage and theft) cover.
I've seen some reference that the E and T versions are also good, but SOW or SOOW seem to be the best.

Will it (or any) withstand weed eater line?  Or do I need to add a sleeve for protection?

thanks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: SO (O)W for exterior use?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 03:40:03 PM »

Is this the best option for +5 to +110 air temps in full sun, contact with metal plate (in said sun) and rain, snow, & ice?   Permanent install.  Probably 12"-18" max exposure from exterior plug box to under protective (damage and theft) cover.
I've seen some reference that the E and T versions are also good, but SOW or SOOW seem to be the best.

Will it (or any) withstand weed eater line?  Or do I need to add a sleeve for protection?

thanks

Flexible cord is never supposed to be used in place of a permanent wiring method.

I wouldn’t trust the rubber jacket against a weed eater.

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 03:58:08 PM »

Flexible cord is never supposed to be used in place of a permanent wiring method.

I wouldn’t trust the rubber jacket against a weed eater.
I agree in principle, but for an outdoor fixture with a flexible cable gland for power connection assumes that the user will use a flexible cable.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »

I happened to change a lamp in a pole top fixture Saturday that the POCO wired with SO cable.  I know that fixture has been in place over a decade and the SO was still in good shape-but it certainly never tangled with a weedeater.  I would sleeve it with something-the easiest to be code compliant would be FNMC (flexible non-metallic conduit)-though a weedeater will eventually eat up that as well.  That's a pretty common setup for an adjustable fixture.
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »

I happened to change a lamp in a pole top fixture Saturday that the POCO wired with SO cable.  I know that fixture has been in place over a decade and the SO was still in good shape-but it certainly never tangled with a weedeater.  I would sleeve it with something-the easiest to be code compliant would be FNMC (flexible non-metallic conduit)-though a weedeater will eventually eat up that as well.  That's a pretty common setup for an adjustable fixture.

And don’t forget that the POCO does not have to comply with the NEC so they do pretty much what they want.

PVC flex is appropriate for outdoor installs.  Stainless metallic flex will withstand weed walkers but neither will survive actual lawn mowers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 04:53:44 PM »

thanks

What are you actually wiring up? From what to where?

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 08:23:56 PM »

What are you actually wiring up? From what to where?

Iluminarc Ilumiline 21g2 rgb .4 amp per fixture.  8 total.   1 fixture per access point 7 locations.  2 fixtures on 1 access.
Electricians are making the runs to the locations.  5 locations, underground runs with pop-ups.  Those 5 locations span about 100', plus whatever it take to get there.  Easily branched from center though.  2 locations, roof top.
Where they start and how they route is up to them.  I am spec'ing the locations and how I will connect the fixtures (as code allows, based on their input).

Not sure if that was your question, but is was pretty vague.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 01:39:00 AM »

Look at “mini-split cable.” It's designed for installing mini-split heat pumps, but it is basically armored cable (type MC) with a thermoplastic outer jacket and is rated for outdoors, wet locations, sunlight exposure, direct burial, or in-wall. May be used with or without conduit.

I don't know if the AHJ will accept it for your application; do your due diligence.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »

Look at many utility poles around here, and you see insulated cable going up the pole with a plastic guard for the first few feet to ward off bumpers, etc.
Definitely cover the exposed cable.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »

And don’t forget that the POCO does not have to comply with the NEC so they do pretty much what they want.

However, one of the acceptable uses of SO (flexible cord) is wiring luminares.  If the luminaire is adjustable, you don't even have to use a plug/connector it can be hard wired.

That said NEC compliance does not equal good design-it is simply the minimum you can do.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.