ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Sennheiser Mic Recommendation  (Read 5141 times)

Jay Marr

Need Sennheiser Mic Recommendation
« on: April 23, 2019, 02:29:49 PM »

Hello all.
I've been using a Sennheiser G1 Wireless Handheld (845 capsule) for the past 16-17 years.  It's got some road scars, and after a drop this past weekend, the LED screen on the handheld is extremely washed out and I can't read it any longer.  I need to crack it open and see if it's just a loose connection, but it may be time to retire it and grab something new.
I got the Sennheiser system as an endorsement (free) and it's given me over a thousand flawless gigs, so I am going to show some brand loyalty and only look at Sennheiser systems.
Models I've been considering are 845, 935 or 945.

I've done as much research and reading as I can, and like anything on the internet - the more you read, the more you realize there are 100 different opinions on the same products.

I've read many posts on this forum though where folks will say:
"For male lead vocalists I like - XYZ Sennheiser".
or "If the singer is nasally, I like - ABC Sennheiser".

So I'm asking (for those who want to indulge me) - based on my voice, what Sennheiser mic would you put in front of me (and don't say none - ha!)

Here is me using my 845 wireless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBLNSzZM_nY

Here is me using (I think) an Audio Technica 4050
(video is me holding my 845, but it's just crappy footage from a radio show we did...the music is from a studio recording)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlKuQQb_QF0

I will be using this mostly with my rock cover band in rooms from 200-500 people.  Small-ish stages usually.
My FOH is usually JTR Noesis 3TX over JBL SRX728/718 subs.  Just stating that because if I was playing out of a JBL Gen1 Eon, the quality of the Mic may not matter as much.  I'm not playing in stadiums, but my FOH is kick ass for the rooms I play.

Any advice is appreciated. - What Senny mic would you recommend?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Need Sennheiser Mic Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 03:29:35 PM »

Thw x35 series is cardiod, and the x45 series is super-cardioid and has a more pronounced proximity effect.
The 9xx series has a more accurate and smoother response.
My everyday stage mics have changed from e835 to e935.
I personally use the e945.
That said, is there a music store nearby where you could audition the wired mics?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »

Firstly, love the clips - great energy in the house, and decent vocal performance.

Secondly, stop cupping the mic - enough said...

Then down to mic choice.  Has anything disappointed you about the e845 capsule?  It seems to be doing a good job with you in the first clip, albeit that the vocal is a bit too low in the mix in my view - and it doesn't sound like the kind of vocal that needs to be hidden at all.

If you're happy with the polar response of the e845, then why not just get another one?  The e945 will sound a little better, in my view, but not exactly night and day.  I love the e935 myself, but don't see why you should move away from the super-cardoid response of the e845/945 if it works for you.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:14:04 PM »

E935 or 945 if you like the sound of dynamic capsules.  Both are quite good, the E935 is my favorite go-to general purpose dynamic mic.

If you prefer the sound of condenser capsules, as I do, then the E965 or KMS105 are both great.  The 965 is 'darker' sounding while the 105 is 'bright'; with EQ either works well.  Unless you have a thin voice, either capsule will work well. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 04:00:38 AM »

The first vocal mic on my stands are Sennheiser e935s, and they usually stay there.

They're a decent combination of:
- Sounds good on every vocal I've tried
- Reasonably forgiving of mic technique
- Enough gain-before-feedback for some rather loud stages (think drummers with earplugs in that routinely crack cymbals)

They're not my favourite vocal mic (at the moment, that's a Beyer TG-X930), but the e935s are at a good point in the price-to-performance curve.

Chris

PS - Your guitarist would hear the monitor much better if the HF horn was uncovered :)
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 05:57:52 AM »

The first vocal mic on my stands are Sennheiser e935s, and they usually stay there.

They're a decent combination of:
- Sounds good on every vocal I've tried
- Reasonably forgiving of mic technique
- Enough gain-before-feedback for some rather loud stages (think drummers with earplugs in that routinely crack cymbals)
Completely agree

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 07:08:49 AM »

Great stage presence in your first video!

For recording purposes, I think the differences in the mics would be observable; though, for live sound (in my experience), there did not appear to be much of a difference between the mics you listed.  Seemed like a bit more gain was needed for the 845 series, but the 9xx series seemed identical.  With the thousands of watts at FOH, and stage noise being what it is, the differences between the mics appeared negligible.  Though, mixing on different gear for these mics probably had something to do with my perception of them. 

I use E835 wired and wireless when using my system.  Honestly, the differences between what I use and what I've mixed with for other events seemed minor.  Obviously, there's a lot of variables between my system and others I've mixed on...

Jay Marr

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 07:56:34 AM »

Great stage presence in your first video!
Thanks Bob.  They're a fun band.
The second video was a radio broadcast, so we weren't moving much as we were trying to perform as cleanly as possible.  They filmed the performance so I decided to publish it....of course the board mix of the audio was dreadfully dry, so I just slapped our studio recording over it.  But not exciting at all.

For recording purposes, I think the differences in the mics would be observable;

This is an important point and I should have mentioned - I often track the band (using X32 rack, right to SD card) and remix - hence the audio on that first video clip.

So that being the case - a better recorded sound is important to me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:08:50 AM by Jay Marr »

Jay Marr

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 08:07:20 AM »

@Dave Garoutte - I will have to see if I can find a GC that has both of these.  The tough thing is that in the moment (just saying 'check 1,2') it's really hard for me to hear mic differences, when the mics are close.  I'm usually focused on not liking the sound of me saying 'check 1,2' with a bunch of people in the area.  I should probably try to rent a 935 and 945 and sing a set with each of them (and record).

@Alec Spence - yes, the mic cup...old habbits die hard.  One of my many performance flaws :)

@Caleb Dueck - I'm likely going to stay away from the 965 because condenser mics seem to feedback quicker on the smaller stages I'm on (I have friends that play the same stages I do, with Shure condesers, that are always mentioning that)

@Chris Grimshaw - ha! That set list doesn't usually stay on his monitor.  If it ever is there, it's acting as a beer deflector.  That little wedge (made by a company called XiTone) is a little coax, and it's just his guitar monitor.  He cranks it, and even if he leaves that paper on there to deflect some alcohol, we all hear him loud and clear.  But yes, very good point.

Based on he feedback, I'm leaning towards 935/945...more towards the 945 because I've had good luck with super-cardiod (I've always liked Beta58 over regular SM58....but that's the only super vs. cardiod comparison I have done with mics of the same brand/quality.)
I am going to try and find a wired 935 and 945 and do some tracking at a gig.

Thanks all for your input!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »

Try local first, but if you can't there's plenty of online companies that will rent any number of mics even the exotic ones.

https://micrentals.com/
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.