ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante Clock Issues  (Read 10103 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Dante Clock Issues
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 10:42:14 AM »

Worst part about how audinate teaches their classes is how they encourage everyone to use those link-local addresses. They need to work on that. You be smart to either a. USE a dhcp server (on purpose- I know, I’m a mad man), or b. assign static ips all the way around.

IIRC one of the early Dante chipsets could not use Static IPs.   By the time the chipsets were updated to accommodate static IPs the SOP to use link-local had been set.

It also goes against Audinates sales pitch of it being relatively plug and play.

I had a customer recently (on their own) try to get StageMix working for a QL console, and instead of plugging the Home Router into the mixer, they pluged into the switch.   That link-local dante setup kinda went crazy.  This is of course because they only had the control room equipment on, and not the amp racks as they were just testing things.   Once it did work (or didn't, I don't know) the the router was disconnected and when the amps were turned on...nothing worked.   We don't use link local addressing for Dante chips anymore.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 11:43:19 AM »

That’s what I’m saying, it’s fraught with errors. I think static’s are the safest but I’ve heard personally of 3-4 incidents where a rogue dhcp server made it onto a network and shut it down. Static’s are immune to the dhcp server but of course they’re more labor intensive. I always set mine up with statics.

Didn’t mean to hijack, but I think this is an important discussion when it comes to Dante.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan Davis

Aske Just

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »

I highly doubt that’s your problem. Worst part about how audinate teaches their classes is how they encourage everyone to use those link-local addresses. They need to work on that. You be smart to either a. USE a dhcp server (on purpose- I know, I’m a mad man), or b. assign static ips all the way around. If you assign static’s it wouldn’t  matter if someone put 1 or 20 dhcp servers on your network.

If a clock master drops out a new one should be automatically elected without any input from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i think the important part here is the "on purpose". The culprit was indeed the pfsense and the dhcp. Im not saying it wouldnt work, if set up properly, but how it ended up here was the Dante units being controlled by the´pfsense forcing ip-ranges and assigning vlan that was dedicated to the work-related wifi, and with that alot of settings not consciously meant for the dante network. Everything is working fine here now. Latency, clock and everything is in perfect order. I am back to syncing our Rsio64 form external wordclock produced by a rosendahl nanosync. That box is permanently powered and on UPS.

But again thanks to everyone helping me out, especially that guy doubting my Danish name  ;)

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »

You could check de pfsense dhcp server lease time. My bet is it is set at 3600 secs, thus releasing the ip adres every hour.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.