ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM on a budget  (Read 5657 times)

Mattijs Bosveld

Re: IEM on a budget
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 03:14:40 AM »

Some good info here.  To add to it-

Crappy quality (technical term) ear buds aren't worth it.  Telling musicians to go from hearing 'OK' (multiple wedges coming from various angles) to 'less than OK' depending on ear buds model is the wrong direction to earn trust. 

Inter-band communication is important.  A non-latching stomp box for the worship leader, and thumb switch mic(s) for those who don't sing, is important. The stomp box should have A and B out; one is normal level and goes to audience and band, the other is higher level and goes only to the band.

Audience microphones, stereo, are important.  A pair of cheap condenser mics on the stage lip, or a pair of little choir mics flown, work great.  I much prefer condenser mics over dynamic, but I've met others who prefer dynamics. 

Clark Synthesis or Buttkicker shakers are great - not just for the drum throne, or for the bass player to stand on, but most of the stage.  The Clark branded ones play higher and give more than just 'shaking'. 

Agreed that stereo in-ear mixes, even on a mono PA, is very important. 

Wired vs wireless - wireless costs a lot more for convenience and aesthetics of no wires.  After everything else is done and done well - then consider upgrading from P16's to wireless - BUT only where necessary. 

If you have a dedicated audio engineer who is experienced - a monitor console as Brian noted is great to have.  This allows for not only mixing for those who aren't as adept at mixing their own mix - but also allows for multiple reverb FX.

Thnx all you guys for these answers.
I think with all the info here I am going the right direction.

Maybe  you guys can help me with a last question. reason for this question is that I think the following setup would be possible, but I need to know for sure before getting in to it and go testing.

Right now we have a x32 as FOH mixer and it runs a AES50 cable to the stage with one S16. there is also running a small analog stagebox to the stage, because that was already there before the X32 came and is used for the mic for the preacher and other people who speak on the podium.
Is it possible to add a X32 rack to the mix, use the s16 as an extension to the rack (so that I still have 32/16 available, 16/8 from the Rack and 16/8 from the S16).  and then use the AES50 to run all signals to FOH?
THe main point of the question is the extension part. DOes the Rack version has the possibility to see the channels of the 16 as "input 17/32 and output 9/16".
My guess would be that it is.
So the routing on the Rack would be:
RACK:
IN: CH 1-16 : Analog 1-16
     CH  17-32: AES 50/A 1-16 on the S16
     OUT 1-8: Analog 1-8
    OUT 9-16: AES 50/A 1-8 on the S16
FOH X32:
AES 50/B:
     CH 1-32: AES50/B 1-32
    OUT 1-16: AES50/B 1-16

That would be the basic routing, but I have to be able to rout individual output channels on the FOH to Analog OUT on the FOH, because  our infrastructure has some cables for Broadcast and overflow rooms lying at the FOH desk.

Is this a possible setup?

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 10:53:58 AM »

Thnx all you guys for these answers.
I think with all the info here I am going the right direction.

Maybe  you guys can help me with a last question. reason for this question is that I think the following setup would be possible, but I need to know for sure before getting in to it and go testing.

Right now we have a x32 as FOH mixer and it runs a AES50 cable to the stage with one S16. there is also running a small analog stagebox to the stage, because that was already there before the X32 came and is used for the mic for the preacher and other people who speak on the podium.
Is it possible to add a X32 rack to the mix, use the s16 as an extension to the rack (so that I still have 32/16 available, 16/8 from the Rack and 16/8 from the S16).  and then use the AES50 to run all signals to FOH?
THe main point of the question is the extension part. DOes the Rack version has the possibility to see the channels of the 16 as "input 17/32 and output 9/16".
My guess would be that it is.
So the routing on the Rack would be:
RACK:
IN: CH 1-16 : Analog 1-16
     CH  17-32: AES 50/A 1-16 on the S16
     OUT 1-8: Analog 1-8
    OUT 9-16: AES 50/A 1-8 on the S16
FOH X32:
AES 50/B:
     CH 1-32: AES50/B 1-32
    OUT 1-16: AES50/B 1-16

That would be the basic routing, but I have to be able to rout individual output channels on the FOH to Analog OUT on the FOH, because  our infrastructure has some cables for Broadcast and overflow rooms lying at the FOH desk.

Is this a possible setup?

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/forums/filteredbylabelpage/board-id/tribe-mixing/label-name/behringer

I am about to do something very similar and I need to understand exactly the same thing. I think you are on the right track but the X32 Forum can probably answer your question better. Unless someone from there is also on here. Their website is not the best it was changed recently and is very frustrating.

Barry Reynolds

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:08 PM »

Hi all,

I'm currently investigating if, and if so, what kind of IEM we should implement in our church:
Maybe a SITREP is in order here:

We currently use the Behringer X32 Console with an S16 connected to it.
Our current monitor setup is a standard ability to set up 6 individual mixes through monitor wedges.

Our church isn't that big and therefore the sound from the stage with the wedges makes it difficult to make a decent FOH mix.

So: our intent is to setup IEM's.
But I have a couple of questions:

1. Everywhere I look, i read that being able to setup a stereo IEM mix is very important.
But when I take a look at our current setup, the ability to make stereo mixes will make the whole effort quite costly.
90% of the time our worship team consists of 6-8 musicians/singers. That would mean that a full stereo IEM setup would take up to 16 output channels.
So then, my options are:
- Use the ultranet and buy 8 p16's + about 4 wireless setups for Worshipleader and vocalists.
- Get a second mixer (X32 Rack or something) dedicated for Monitoring. If I can stretch up the monitor mixes in the X32 desk to 8, I assume that I can make 4 stereo mixes from the console and 4 mixes from the Rack.

The other option is: Don't make too much of the stereo mix discussion and go mono. That way I have enough channels in the current setup.

I'm looking for opinions here.
When you consider that the church has a (very) limited budget, what do you guys think:
Should I not even consider going to IEM's when I have to restrict it to mono mixes due to the budget and wait till I can make the investment,
Or is the mono/stereo difference not that big and should I just go for it using monomixes.
Maybe it's good to mention that for some people of the worship team, it would be the first time using IEM.

You are getting good suggestions.  I will add that that even if you get a great system, musicians need some time to get used to them.  In my and others’ experience,  a good number of people dislike them at first and won’t live without them later on.  Don’t let the initial grumbling discourage you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.