ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cisco Aironet  (Read 6092 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Cisco Aironet
« on: April 22, 2019, 01:47:58 PM »

Looking for a nice WAP for console control. Is anyone using the Cisco Aironet line?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Cisco Aironet
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »

Looking for a nice WAP for console control. Is anyone using the Cisco Aironet line?

Are they remotely affordable now?  I used them in IT work years ago but the price was so high I’ve never considered them for production work.  I’m personally using ubiquity stuff now.  No reason a properly deployed aironet shouldn’t work fine.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »

Are they remotely affordable now?  I used them in IT work years ago but the price was so high I’ve never considered them for production work.  I’m personally using ubiquity stuff now.  No reason a properly deployed aironet shouldn’t work fine.

Older Cisco is affordable, and you can run the standalone image.  They work well but newer stuff blows it away.

Ubiquity and Ruckus are my go to.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 11:33:43 PM »

Older Cisco is affordable, and you can run the standalone image.  They work well but newer stuff blows it away.

Ubiquity and Ruckus are my go to.

One of my client sites is all Ruckus and a couple of my production networks are exposed on the WiFi and it's all worked great.  There were a couple of coverage issues in the new building but I identified those and they added APs and now it's all good.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »

One of my client sites is all Ruckus and a couple of my production networks are exposed on the WiFi and it's all worked great.  There were a couple of coverage issues in the new building but I identified those and they added APs and now it's all good.

Yes, the Ubiquity stuff is my value line and the Ruckus can hold its own to Cisco and Aruba (the heavy hitter super high dollar products).  The problem with the enterprise stuff and Cisco's Meraki product. the ecosystem is so expensive to live in.  If you fall out (don't keep your contract up to date) the value of the devices is essentially zero for anything but hobby customers. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:08:17 PM »

I agree with scott on meraki. Expensive to buy and even more expensive to use. Ruckus is awesome- personally been moving away from ubiquiti unless my hands are tied on doing something at a higher price point. Ok for many things but I’ve run into major throughput issues with some of their gear that has majorly turned me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan Davis

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 03:17:43 PM »

Console control is inherently low bandwidth...

Why not a cheap Ubiquiti AC mesh or AC mesh pro?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »

I agree with scott on meraki. Expensive to buy and even more expensive to use. Ruckus is awesome- personally been moving away from ubiquiti unless my hands are tied on doing something at a higher price point. Ok for many things but I’ve run into major throughput issues with some of their gear that has majorly turned me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am "all in" on the cloud in my other vocation however NAAS (Network as a Service) I just can't get my arms around.  Before Cisco bought Meraki it was an interesting price point and idea.  Now we have hybrid systems that us the cloud as a management layer and all out hosted designs that hand off deep packet inspection to the mothership via an API.  I can't get into that.  The SLA's are also written really weird so you have no accountability if the response time slows.  I am going to have to relent as it looks like we will be getting into Cisco Hyperflex alongside our Open Stack infrastructure to enable flexible capacity using public/private cloud.  It's a brave new world.  Kinda cool to have gone from 1200 baud point to point circuits when I started to 40G Internet drains and hypervisors with terabytes of RAM. 

Anyway back to Ruckus,  my only concern with using for the production is access to Internet.  I have not had any real "tours" but have looked at doing a few and I always said I would have a router with a 4G radio in it so we had reliable Internet to run IP Phones for the work desk and other functions.  If I do this I will document the experience.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 05:00:40 PM »

I am "all in" on the cloud in my other vocation however NAAS (Network as a Service) I just can't get my arms around.  Before Cisco bought Meraki it was an interesting price point and idea.  Now we have hybrid systems that us the cloud as a management layer and all out hosted designs that hand off deep packet inspection to the mothership via an API.  I can't get into that.  The SLA's are also written really weird so you have no accountability if the response time slows.  I am going to have to relent as it looks like we will be getting into Cisco Hyperflex alongside our Open Stack infrastructure to enable flexible capacity using public/private cloud.  It's a brave new world.  Kinda cool to have gone from 1200 baud point to point circuits when I started to 40G Internet drains and hypervisors with terabytes of RAM. 

Anyway back to Ruckus,  my only concern with using for the production is access to Internet.  I have not had any real "tours" but have looked at doing a few and I always said I would have a router with a 4G radio in it so we had reliable Internet to run IP Phones for the work desk and other functions.  If I do this I will document the experience.

Brave new world indeed.

The 4G is a peice of cake, just build your infrastructure like you normally would for your network and use a Cradlepoint for your WAN connection. You can get 40-50 Mbps on those no problem. Comcast is starting to use those as business failover units on our commercial accounts.
Ryan Davis

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 07:45:48 PM »

Brave new world indeed.

The 4G is a peice of cake, just build your infrastructure like you normally would for your network and use a Cradlepoint for your WAN connection. You can get 40-50 Mbps on those no problem. Comcast is starting to use those as business failover units on our commercial accounts.

Yes, that's exactly what I have in mind.  For instance at hotels even if I get a courtesy production network it's dicey and VPN doesn't work great behind double NAT.  For instance at a corporate gig our production desk will be ready to roll.  No field engineering and an IP phone will work like a champ.  It would be cool to put an ATA adapter for the intercoms and radios too, just dial an extension and go!  Great for the non tech folks that may just be checking in speakers or talent.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 07:45:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.