ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about this speaker brand...  (Read 1693 times)

Blake Cerenzia

Question about this speaker brand...
« on: April 21, 2019, 01:27:09 am »

The choir I'm in held their annual performance in our town's largest theater (1500 seats). They  brought in a very nice touring P.A from a company which I didn't recognize. Anyone recognize these speakers or amps? If it helps, they have a creepy blinking eye on the front...

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Question about this speaker brand...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 03:43:22 am »

Subs look a bit like L'Acoustics KS28.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 05:10:51 am »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Question about this speaker brand...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 08:59:34 am »

Those amps are Alcons.

https://www.alconsaudio.com/product/sentinel-10/

Correct Definitely Alcons.  They are known for using ribbon driver HFs, and being a premium manufacture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Blake Cerenzia

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 06:24:34 pm »

Correct Definitely Alcons.  They are known for using ribbon driver HFs, and being a premium manufacture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! Would I be correct in assuming they're not very common here in the States?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 08:14:27 pm »

Thanks! Would I be correct in assuming they're not very common here in the States?

You might be.  Alcons has been around for a fairly long time.  The are famous for making high-power/low distortion ribbon drivers.  It's a pretty serious company with an obvious sense of humor.  They may be better know in Europe, but they were in the line array "shoot-out at the NAMM show with a very good sounding system.  Eye opening?  Could be!

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 10:39:41 pm »

Not real common yet but they have been making the trade show rounds pretty heavily here. They were even participating in the WFX speaker shootouts as far back as 2015 when I was in Nashville to see it. They sound pretty nice.

I suggested to the Alcons rep that when the amplifier was clipping, the eye should turn red.
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

MikeHarris

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 03:26:54 am »

Alcons should be at Infocomm.
Ribbons sound amazing...we have used both SLS & Stage Accompany. The biggest drawback back then was the minimum crossover point was 1K...and power handling, & a bit intolerant of abuse. From what I have seen Alcons do handle more power, and 3 way systems help raise the xover point.

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 10:10:46 am »

Not real common yet but they have been making the trade show rounds pretty heavily here. They were even participating in the WFX speaker shootouts as far back as 2015 when I was in Nashville to see it. They sound pretty nice.

I suggested to the Alcons rep that when the amplifier was clipping, the eye should turn red.

We had them at the USITT demo last month and they brought their little LR7 boxes. The smallest rig in the room - literally smaller footprint than the motor it was hanging from - but it kept up with the big rigs no problem and has a tendency to actually sound a bit quieter than the others at the same SPL, likely because the top end is so "clean" sounding, at least that was my impression. I would be willing to bet significantly lower THD in the ribbon than a compression driver at high levels.

They're also doing something really neat - they're using NL4 cables when they only need 2 conductors per box. The other two are used for monitoring and feedback to the amps. The way he was explaining it to me, it's a variation of the old "zero impedance output" trick where the NFB is taken after the output resistor. Apparently the extra conductors let them monitor what's happening at the box itself and negate the effects of the cable. I haven't gotten to play with it but the idea is really cool.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 10:10:46 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.