ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive vs powered speakers  (Read 4676 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Passive vs powered speakers
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »

Can you explain how you intend to cluster these speakers?   You mention you need the output of two twelves but you don't get summing from the speakers you mention.

I think you should be looking at subwoofers too.

The list of intended speakers had me confused also.
What sort of deployment are you looking at?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Kurt Hutchison

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 11:16:05 PM »

I definitely could have been more specific.

Narrow deep hall (40' x 110'), low(ish) ceiling at 12'

We don't do anything below 80 hz, so only need mid-bass coverage, no subs.  I am sure about this, we run an 80hz high-pass on the mains right now in our other hall.  It's a church, we don't do the rock-concert thing like some do.

The new hall currently has a single small flying line array front and center.  Comfortably loud in front is nearly inaudible in the back.  And the left and right front dead-spots are noticeable.

The plan is:
- mid-bass coverage from a flying center array of 2 DXR-12's side-by side (manually creating a 2x12 array).

Then three rows in DXR-8's separated like stereo speakers, maybe 10' from each outer wall.

The plan came from you guys (in an earlier thread), not sure which guys though.

The coverage won't be super even, but it will be better than the single flying center speaker we have now.

The theory is that bass (I don't know the cutoff frequency yet), carries much further than treble so I need a single point-source for bass, and can safely spread the treble out a bit.

So the mid-bass comes out from a center point source, and the treble comes from the three rows of speakers, each row time-delayed to match their distance from the front.

I expect we will need to add some sound absorbing stuff to keep all those treble sources from echoing around and making a mess too.

I was thinking of forgoing a DSP, but y'all convinced me that separate power and signal leads are best, the DSP's I am looking at have 6 outs, so a pair of those should do it.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 12:32:24 AM »

The plan is:
- mid-bass coverage from a flying center array of 2 DXR-12's side-by side (manually creating a 2x12 array).

Are the DXRs arrayable speakers like that?  I didn't see anything on the Yamaha website to suggest that they will work well when arrayed side by side.  I'm guessing you're asking for a lot of comb filtering if you deploy those 90 x 60 horns together. 
Something with a narrower horn dispersion should, in theory, array better and carry the sound from the horn farther. 
If you want to stay with Yamaha they have an Installation Series of speakers that might be a better fit for your application.  Yamaha even has their Yamaha Sound System Simulator software to help look at coverage of their different speakers in different environments (I've never used the software and don't know how useful it is, but I don't see how it could do anything but help you make a decision on speakers and coverage). 

Martin Morris

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 03:03:21 AM »

Planning a new system for our small church.

Or should I just hire a pro for design and call it done.

"use the force" Kurt
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 08:38:47 AM »

Kurt, The right decision for you comes down to budget vs. expectations.  Passive speakers can sound great and have some advantages for an installation, however they don't sound nearly as good per dollar as active speakers do.  A $500 DXR10 sounds pretty fantastic within its output capability.  An install-grade box of similar sound quality with appropriate FIR processing and amplification is probably closer to $5000 when all is said and done, however this is one of those "all else equal..." situations where nothing is ever equal.

There's a famous article entitled "Why churches buy 3 sound systems" that is worth your time.  A speaker install that you will be happy with and won't electrocute or fall on someone may cost more than you were hoping for initially, but in the long run will be a much better situation.  Get someone in who can model your space and choose appropriate speakers for the layout of your room. Get a demo of the speakers your consultant is recommending.  Get at least two bids from different companies.  It will be worth the investment in the end.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 12:56:17 PM »

You will also need some way to add delay to the spaced speakers.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 07:19:44 PM »

"use the force" Kurt

Agreed.  It's painful to see how much money is wasted by churches trying the DIY route before they hire a company that really knows what to do. 
I'm a fairly smart individual, but I would never try to design a transmission for my truck; there's a ton of expertise needed, just just common sense. 

The hardest part is wading through all the low-end companies to find a good one. 

Most of the best solutions - aren't found in music stores or general online sites.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 07:19:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.