ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Fusion WiFi Monitoring  (Read 5977 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Audio Fusion WiFi Monitoring
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »

Off topic.

I don't understand. Why would we delay an IEM signal to match a digital latency?
[say analog path besides mixer; mic > digital mixer (.7ms latency) > analog IEM)]

I could see adding delay to make it sound better in the head, but adding more delay wouldn't make it any better than all analog path?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »

Off topic.

I don't understand. Why would we delay an IEM signal to match a digital latency?
[say analog path besides mixer; mic > digital mixer (.7ms latency) > analog IEM)]

I could see adding delay to make it sound better in the head, but adding more delay wouldn't make it any better than all analog path?

I think in our joking around [or at least mine] something got lost in translation.

If we have an all analog path, mic to IEMs, we certainly would not add delay.  If, however, we have something digital in the path that is adding latency, you can sometimes get better results with singers [and others who can hear their sound "in their head" as well as in their IEMs] by INCREASING that latency so that the interference between the "in the head" sound and the IEM sound interferes in a different and less objectionable way.  This varies WILDLY between different performers, so it's totally a "try it and see" kinda thing.  I first discovered this trick by using it on myself [i'm also a "singer"].  i found that getting my latency up closer to 7-8 ms sounded better to me than the native 1-2 ms that the digital mixer was introducing.

YMMV of course...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.