ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The guitar world is getting boned.......  (Read 9042 times)

Matthias McCready

Re: The guitar world is getting boned.......
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »

so with all this audio "modeling" these amps can do, is there really a need to have an expensive (or specific) guitar?

So what is with all the different microphones which are used in live sound, I mean you can just use EQ and make any mic sound the same right?

Sorry couldn't resist  ::) ;D
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 09:58:05 PM »

The really silly part of this is that they're trying to reproduce the sound of something that doesn't extend beyond 5kHz.  Worse, D-A conversion has real issues with the waveforms of distorted guitars.  And most of the people playing these things are into the jar of bees rectum fryer sound.  So now you have these extended bandwidth speakers trying to reproduce all the ugly artifacts of modelers.  And using low end PA speakers with smiley disco eq curves, making it still worse.

Of course, I'm not the target market for this.  Playing these things feels to me like the difference between playing a sampling keyboard vs. a real instrument.  Yes, you have dynamic control and some degree of tone production, but it feels like remote control to me.  I've sat with Robben Ford, plugged into his back up Dumble, trying to follow his hands and find how he gets the sound he does.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 10:10:27 AM »

The really silly part of this is that they're trying to reproduce the sound of something that doesn't extend beyond 5kHz.  Worse, D-A conversion has real issues with the waveforms of distorted guitars.  And most of the people playing these things are into the jar of bees rectum fryer sound.  So now you have these extended bandwidth speakers trying to reproduce all the ugly artifacts of modelers.  And using low end PA speakers with smiley disco eq curves, making it still worse.

Of course, I'm not the target market for this.  Playing these things feels to me like the difference between playing a sampling keyboard vs. a real instrument.  Yes, you have dynamic control and some degree of tone production, but it feels like remote control to me.  I've sat with Robben Ford, plugged into his back up Dumble, trying to follow his hands and find how he gets the sound he does.

The bees in a jar with smiley curve bass boost is already coming out of the modelers - it's not a direct product of the amplifier as I get the same thing from a player that uses a guitar amp.

I'd be pleased with a player that has an overdrive pedal and a 10 watt amp set to 11.

As for Mr Ford, 90% of what he does is in his hands and fingers, 10% in the Dumble.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 10:10:27 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.