ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How high is too high? (Speaker placement)  (Read 3095 times)

Johannes Halvorsen

Re: How high is too high? (Speaker placement)
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 12:32:21 PM »

I guess I'm just trying to picture myself, if the pastor was 10' in front of me, but the speaker was hung 17' above his head (24' or so above mine, counting stage height).

It seems like there would be an odd separation where I'm hearing the pastor's voice direct, but then the amplified sound coming from above.

Am I over thinking it?
Just add a few ms delay to the direct sound, and you are good. :)

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 01:01:29 PM »

Just add a few ms delay to the direct sound, and you are good. :)

Brilliant!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 02:29:28 PM »

17' is not that high.  I usually go higher if possible, depending on available height and the distance to the furthest listener.

Just make sure that you have the front rows covered.

3D models are great for this.  2D does NOT give you any sort of accurate indication of levels over a seating area with flown loudspeakers.

I model at 2KHz first.  It is the most important. Then I look at other freq.  If I can't get 2KHz right, I use a different approach or product.

BE SURE to also look at how much energy is getting back onto the stage from the loudspeakers.  This can be a big deal in gain before feedback.  Pattern control is your friend here.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 10:57:13 AM »

I wonder if these may work for you? 

https://youtu.be/gX4SNz-cHVI

https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2667&fbclid=IwAR1-u9xJBS24jPd7ArdjdvuUh6ckjizBV0y9DoKzP73iYBJj-kP3jk3-cLw#videoplayer

Douglas R. Allen

I'm looking at a simple install in a medium-sized church with a high ceiling.

Room is appx 80' wide by 50' deep, with 25' ceilings.

Stage height is only 2', with the closest seats 10' from the podium.

So - if the speaker was all the way to the ceiling, it would be about 17' above the speakers head.

My question is, is there a rule of thumb or guideline to help decide how high they can go before it gets weird? It seems like the localization would be very odd with that much separation.

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 11:34:42 AM »

I wonder if these may work for you?
https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2667&fbclid=IwAR1-u9xJBS24jPd7ArdjdvuUh6ckjizBV0y9DoKzP73iYBJj-kP3jk3-cLw#videoplayer
Douglas R. Allen

Douglas, I've actually used the 'old' EV-VI speakers in another install about 7 years ago. A good product that met a specific need.

Today, I think the Martin CDD12 and CDD15 are doing a better job of what the EV speakers are attempting, in a more attractive (read: conventional) looking cabinet.

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »

Douglas, I've actually used the 'old' EV-VI speakers in another install about 7 years ago. A good product that met a specific need.

Today, I think the Martin CDD12 and CDD15 are doing a better job of what the EV speakers are attempting, in a more attractive (read: conventional) looking cabinet.

Interesting assymetrical dispersion coaxial speakers! UPM Formi composite enclosure looks even more interesting, probably very interesting looking on the inside!
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.