ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touchscreen Mixers - Who uses them?  (Read 5399 times)

Barry Reynolds

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 39
Re: Touchscreen Mixers - Who uses them?
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2019, 10:30:13 pm »

Iíll add another application of tablet mixers: dedicated IEM mixers.

I currently use an A&H SQ5 connected to two ME1 and 6 stereo wireless IEMs (permanently wired to stagebox) in an 8-piece tribute band.  I play keyboards.  We have 24-32 channels of analog splitters because we connect with a different brand and type of FOH every gig.  During Soundcheck, I make minor adjustments to preamp settings to accommodate FOHís mic collection.  Then I might make 1-2 adjustments on preamp gains during the show.  Each player can adjust their own IEM mix via smart phones or ME1.  We discourage players from making adjustments until breaks.

So, it is really set and forget for me.  Weíve worked out the learning curve and kinks in months of rehearsal. 

While the SQ line doesnít have a lunchbox or tablet version ďyet,Ē Iíve previously done this exact configuration with a A&H Qu-SB, with literally everything prewired in one 12 space rack on casters.

Iíll be watching for a tablet SQ, but Iíll also keep the SQ5.
Logged

Lou Kohley

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 98
Re: Touchscreen Mixers - Who uses them?
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2019, 11:17:04 pm »

He's using a "Samsung Galaxy View".

-Tim T

Thanks for getting the info out. Just saw this.

LOU
Logged

Steve Garris

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1348
Re: Touchscreen Mixers - Who uses them?
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2019, 11:47:07 am »

Iíll add another application of tablet mixers: dedicated IEM mixers.

I currently use an A&H SQ5 connected to two ME1 and 6 stereo wireless IEMs (permanently wired to stagebox) in an 8-piece tribute band.  I play keyboards.  We have 24-32 channels of analog splitters because we connect with a different brand and type of FOH every gig.  During Soundcheck, I make minor adjustments to preamp settings to accommodate FOHís mic collection.  Then I might make 1-2 adjustments on preamp gains during the show.  Each player can adjust their own IEM mix via smart phones or ME1.  We discourage players from making adjustments until breaks.

So, it is really set and forget for me.  Weíve worked out the learning curve and kinks in months of rehearsal. 

While the SQ line doesnít have a lunchbox or tablet version ďyet,Ē Iíve previously done this exact configuration with a A&H Qu-SB, with literally everything prewired in one 12 space rack on casters.

Iíll be watching for a tablet SQ, but Iíll also keep the SQ5.

A couple of the tribute bands I mix do exactly that. Very slick & professional, and the house tech's love not having to deal with monitors.
Logged

Barry Reynolds

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 39
Re: Touchscreen Mixers - Who uses them?
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2019, 08:35:15 pm »

A couple of the tribute bands I mix do exactly that. Very slick & professional, and the house tech's love not having to deal with monitors.

It is a nice hybrid approach to sound.  We (the band) get to rough out the ear mixes in rehearsal, which greatly reduces sound check time and work.  I try to make it easier on the sound guys by PTouch labeling all inputs on the splitters and labeling each output on a snake that goes to FOH input box(s).  We are finding that 90% of soundpeople recognize immediately what we are trying to do and they have often done it many times before.  The remaining 10% think itís gonna be a hassle until I do 1 minute of explaining and show them my completely labeled inputs and outputs.

Some sound companies are so well-equipped that they could conceivably feed our or their IEM transmitters from FOH, but we like to be assured of getting 8 stereo mixes, and even these companies like the fact that we have already premixed the monitors. 

Because this application is so hands-off during the show, a tablet only mixer would be more than fine, especially with the router being less than 30 feet from the players.
Logged

Rory Buszka

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 90
  • Gearmonger
Re: Touchscreen Mixers - Who uses them?
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2019, 12:56:05 pm »

It is a nice hybrid approach to sound.  We (the band) get to rough out the ear mixes in rehearsal, which greatly reduces sound check time and work.  I try to make it easier on the sound guys by PTouch labeling all inputs on the splitters and labeling each output on a snake that goes to FOH input box(s).  We are finding that 90% of soundpeople recognize immediately what we are trying to do and they have often done it many times before.  The remaining 10% think itís gonna be a hassle until I do 1 minute of explaining and show them my completely labeled inputs and outputs.

Some sound companies are so well-equipped that they could conceivably feed our or their IEM transmitters from FOH, but we like to be assured of getting 8 stereo mixes, and even these companies like the fact that we have already premixed the monitors. 

Because this application is so hands-off during the show, a tablet only mixer would be more than fine, especially with the router being less than 30 feet from the players.

Hi Barry,

How do you handle the splitting? Is it a passive split (just Y-ing the cables somewhere, such as behind a rack panel) or is it an active splitter box? Is it a home-made or commercial product?

Thanks much,

Rory

P.S. to anyone following this thread, I got the Si Expression 1. It's dynamite. I think I will be able to live without VCAs on a console this size.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:56:51 pm by Rory Buszka »
Logged
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

dave briar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 259
  • Helena Montana
Re: Touchscreen Mixers - Who uses them?
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2019, 01:15:10 pm »

Hi Barry,

How do you handle the splitting? Is it a passive split (just Y-ing the cables somewhere, such as behind a rack panel) or is it an active splitter box? Is it a home-made or commercial product?

Thanks much,

Rory
I recently helped a band setup a pair of these in their rack:
Art S8 link
Itís not the cheapest option but ďsafeĒ counts for a lot. By the way 97% of the time Iím the house guy and truly welcome the bands that come in so equipped.
Logged
..db

Mark Scrivener

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 110
    • My Recording Studio
Re: Touchscreen Mixers - Who uses them?
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2019, 03:42:49 pm »

I recently helped a band setup a pair of these in their rack:
Art S8 link
Itís not the cheapest option but ďsafeĒ counts for a lot. By the way 97% of the time Iím the house guy and truly welcome the bands that come in so equipped.

I use the Art S8 as well. Sometimes you can get them on "B" stock for less - http://www.proaudiostar.com/art-s8-b-stock-1.html

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Touchscreen Mixers - Who uses them?
¬ę Reply #86 on: August 30, 2019, 03:42:49 pm ¬Ľ


Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
 



Page created in 0.133 seconds with 24 queries.