ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: meyer 650 r2 questions  (Read 8482 times)

Jody Gould

meyer 650 r2 questions
« on: April 17, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »

I called Meyer the other day and asked them what year my Meyer 650 r2 were made.  They didn't know because they changed there serial number format years ago. The serial number is 83057.   Anyone have any idea when they first started making 650 r2.  One person said around 1991.  I thought it was earlier than that.   One more question.

The Meyer 650  r 2  subs have the  EP-4 connector on them.     I found the ep-4connector on line, will it work with  a rewire on XLR cables ?   I can’t seem to find any cables for the 650  R2.    Or is there another way ?what’s the best way?

I found the Meyer b2 processor.  will that work for these subs or should I get the Meyer b2 EX.   Thanks You.

John L Nobile

Re: meyer 650 r2 questions
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 09:25:56 AM »

We got ours in '89 so they were out before that.

I still have those but I've swapped out the drivers. The original ones gave up after almost 25 years. I think I put Eminence drivers in them and the output was much better. I don't use them much anymore though.

There's literature online that will give you wiring and specs for EP4's. Each speaker is wired separately.

Pin 1 — Driver 2, common (–)
Pin 2 — Driver 1, common (–)
Pin 3 — Driver 1, hot (+)
Pin 4 — Driver 2, hot (+)

"The 650-R2 may be used with any of the following
Meyer Sound Control Electronics Units: B-2, B-2A, B-2AEX
and B-2EX. Only the B-2AEX and B-2EX contain excursion
protection circuitry to allow use with amplifiers
rated over 750 watts at 4 ohms."

Jody Gould

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:54:49 PM »

thanks for the info. maybe a simple question,  will the 4 pin work with the 3 pin XLRs. thanks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
meyer 650 r2 questions
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:08:35 PM »

thanks for the info. maybe a simple question,  will the 4 pin work with the 3 pin XLRs. thanks

Why do you want to use XLR cable for speakers?

These are not compatible with XLR 3 pin connectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 02:50:19 AM »

I called Meyer the other day and asked them what year my Meyer 650 r2 were made.  They didn't know because they changed there serial number format years ago. The serial number is 83057.   Anyone have any idea when they first started making 650 r2.  One person said around 1991.  I thought it was earlier than that.   One more question.

The Meyer 650  r 2  subs have the  EP-4 connector on them.     I found the ep-4connector on line, will it work with  a rewire on XLR cables ?   I can’t seem to find any cables for the 650  R2.    Or is there another way ?what’s the best way?

I found the Meyer b2 processor.  will that work for these subs or should I get the Meyer b2 EX.   Thanks You.
I don't understand the XLR question either.  These are not powered speakers.

Need more?  I have a set of 12, all refurb with factory recone kits, 2 processors and 12 Yamaha P7000 amplifiers.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jody Gould

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 08:13:19 AM »

im sorry guess I’m asking.   What cable do I use?  Where would I get some.    I’ve just found the 4pin end. Not sure what cable to use with it?

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 10:30:16 AM »

If I had time, I'd change my EP4's on the 650's to NL4's. EP4's are a pain to solder.

XLR? Did you not see the pinout I posted? Needs 4 pins not 3.

Jody Gould

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »

That sounds like the best idea swapping the connectors out thank you

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 10:57:35 AM »

That sounds like the best idea swapping the connectors out thank you
Why?  Other than cost (the NL connectors are cheaper) there is no advantage to changing from the EP connectors.  Soldering an EP requires more heat capacity than an XLR but it's got more physical material and area to heat.  Meyer used EP because those were the bullet-proof connector available at the time and the EP connector is still in use in mission-critical touring systems.

im sorry guess I’m asking.   What cable do I use?  Where would I get some.    I’ve just found the 4pin end. Not sure what cable to use with it?

If you don't know the difference in cables I submit you purchased a product above your pay grade.  Seriously, this isn't snark...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »

What amplifier are you using?  Does it have NL4's?  Have you looked at the manual on the processors?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.