ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Next-level EQ  (Read 4620 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Next-level EQ
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »

Record a multitrack on the mixer.

Fiddle and experiment to your hearts content afterwards.

I was hoping someone was going to say that as I read the thread.  There would be no better tool than a multitrack of your service-not only will you figure out how EQ works but also what works and what does not with your specific musicians-and your can do it without annoying the congregation-or the muicians  ;) !
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »

I was hoping someone was going to say that as I read the thread.  There would be no better tool than a multitrack of your service-not only will you figure out how EQ works but also what works and what does not with your specific musicians-and your can do it without annoying the congregation-or the muicians  ;) !
If the singers are on wedge mixes I think it appropriate to have the wedge sends on while experimenting with the FOH mix.  The amount of "stuff" that wedges contribute to the over all wash of stage SPL can have a significant contribution to FOH mix/tonality issues.

These are the things that "virtual soundcheck" are for!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:55:28 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 04:29:47 PM »

If the singers are on wedge mixes I think it appropriate to have the wedge sends on while experimenting with the FOH mix.  The amount of "stuff" that wedges contribute to the over all wash of stage SPL can have a significant contribution to FOH mix/tonality issues.

Indeed. I've mixed bands where they insisted on turning up the monitors to the point where you could just cut the mains and it didn't make much difference at FOH  >:( IEM's or properly controlled monitor levels make a huge difference. Lots of great comments in this thread, but I'll add two things:

First is a graphic I recently stumbled across in another thread. Great quick reference for go to frequencies based on common descriptions. (attached)

Second is always remember the source has the greatest impact on the sound. Next comes the acoustic space, followed by mic placement, mic choice, PA mains (and placement), and finally what you do at the desk. The source and the acoustic space are usually out of your control, but what mic you use and where you place it are powerful tools you can control.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »

I am very fortunate, as I only encounter wedges once in a blue moon. In fact the last regular wedge user I had stopped using one because of multitracking!

I had multitracked his playing for the evening as I greatly enjoyed it, and as we were tearing down I began playback. The wedge, of course, had the same mix from the evening, and he looked up and commented: "wow I had no idea it colored the room so much, I would like to use IEM's from now on."

I didn't need to suggest it, and it wasn't even my intention although I certainly don't mind :-)
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.