ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring vs cup terminals, do I just not get out much?  (Read 3496 times)

Ben Johnson

• Chicago suburbs.
Spring vs cup terminals, do I just not get out much?
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:14:33 PM »

I ordered some panel mount XLR-M connectors, NC3MDL-BAG.  They're listed as having solder cup connectors. What I got is pictured below, with terminals that have a center pin surrounded by a spring.  I've never seen this before, although don't get out of my corner of the world that often.  What is this?  Searches for combinations of Spring Terminal XLR Neutrik Solder Connector haven't turned anything up.  Did I get an incorrect part, or is this some new solderable solution?

Thanks,
Ben

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:20:29 PM by Ben Johnson »
"The sigfile.  Where people share their wisdom about life and the human condition, usually by quoting somebody else." -Me.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Spring vs cup terminals, do I just not get out much?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 07:19:06 PM »

Looks to me to mate with a PC board.

I suspect you got what you ordered and what you want is a different part number. But, I really don’t know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 07:30:02 PM »

NC3 would imply 3 contacts, but i see 4...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:38:09 PM »

The shell of the XLR is the 4th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ben Johnson

• Chicago suburbs.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »

The 4th pin gives continuity to the shell if desired, it's definitely a 3pin male on the front.

Ben
"The sigfile.  Where people share their wisdom about life and the human condition, usually by quoting somebody else." -Me.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 07:44:04 PM »

Hmmm strange....

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nc3md-l-bag-1

Look at the drawing. Seems different to me.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »

Looks like a knock off. Is the branding on the front correct? Should say Neutrik and Lichtenstein on there and have a hologram sticker on the bag.

I ordered some panel mount XLR-M connectors, NC3MDL-BAG.  They're listed as having solder cup connectors. What I got is pictured below, with terminals that have a center pin surrounded by a spring.  I've never seen this before, although don't get out of my corner of the world that often.  What is this?  Searches for combinations of Spring Terminal XLR Neutrik Solder Connector haven't turned anything up.  Did I get an incorrect part, or is this some new solderable solution?

Thanks,
Ben

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Ben Johnson

• Chicago suburbs.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »

Looks like a knock off. Is the branding on the front correct? Should say Neutrik and Lichtenstein on there and have a hologram sticker on the bag.

It does say Neutrik and "Made in Lichtenstein."  They came 10 mounted in a carboard sleeve, plus 2 floating loose, in a larger ziplock (so no hologram).  This is from Fullcompass, so it seems unlikely that they'd send counterfeits.

And just to be clear, I'm capable of and probably will just return these for the ones I expected.  But I've never seen this method of connection before and now I'm getting curious.

Ben.

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »

Almost looks like a strange "wire-wrap" design?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 09:08:47 PM »

All the panel mount connectors I have ordered from Neutrik have had solder cups for 3 terminals and a tab for the shell ground.

Only place I saw an image similar to yours is an ad for NOS connectors on eBay

The DLX is the updated connector. Order NC3MD-LX-BAG

It does say Neutrik and "Made in Lichtenstein."  They came 10 mounted in a carboard sleeve, plus 2 floating loose, in a larger ziplock (so no hologram).  This is from Fullcompass, so it seems unlikely that they'd send counterfeits.

And just to be clear, I'm capable of and probably will just return these for the ones I expected.  But I've never seen this method of connection before and now I'm getting curious.

Ben.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 09:08:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.