ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I be concerned about this eBay sale?  (Read 3370 times)

John Schalk

Re: Should I be concerned about this eBay sale?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 11:33:23 AM »

From the threads that I have read about selling on eBay, it seems the biggest risk for sellers is that the buyer will claim that the item is defective after receiving it (and breaking it) in which case the seller is forced to refund their money, pay return shipping, lose some fees, and probably get back a broken device.  Since you have the funds, as long as you ship via a verifiable method, I think that the above scenario is the worst case.  As to the risk, how much money are we talking about?  Are you shipping to a CONUS address?  Google the shipping address.  I did this for a non-eBay transaction from another audio forum and found a house that was for sale and listed under someone else's name.  I did not do the deal.  It also had the "too good to be true price" smell.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »

Jeff, that's not how PayPal works. Paypal can come back up to 45 days later and take the money out of your bank account as part of the buyer protection rules.

we all had 0 feedback when we started. wait until the money is in your account before shipping
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 12:45:37 PM »

Is there a way that I could be screwed by this after I ship it?  :-\

I wouldn't do it...  clearly a scam...
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Taylor Hall

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 03:22:25 PM »

Jeff, that's not how PayPal works. Paypal can come back up to 45 days later and take the money out of your bank account as part of the buyer protection rules.
Buyer protection actually extends out to 180 days now from the time of the transaction. Don't ask me how I found that out...
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 05:01:01 PM »

Thanks guys. I have canceled this scammers order and will relist it once everything is wrapped up with the order.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »

Thanks guys. I have canceled this scammers order and will relist it once everything is wrapped up with the order.

I thought you had already shipped it?

If you offer returns there is no way to protect yourself if the seller requests a return.  eBay will hold the Paypal funds until all parties have concluded the transaction.

It is quite a pain, the seller fees to me are a bigger pain.  I too rarely use eBay anymore and I have 4800 feedbacks, used to love it and do real well both buying and selling.  Those days are gone.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 05:45:20 PM »

I thought you had already shipped it?

No, I had until today to ship it. Soon after the order yesterday, I sent a message to the buyer like I usually do. Got no response and the address didn't show up in Google the way they listed it. Combined with the randomized user name and the fact that they had just registered their account yesterday and had no feedback, I figured they were going to scam me. I could have sent it with a signature required by FedEx and been fine, but I don't have room in my life for that kind of drama.

I had the unit listed and sold for $250, and apparently that's a breaking point for scammers.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

John Schalk

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »

It is quite a pain, the seller fees to me are a bigger pain.  I too rarely use eBay anymore and I have 4800 feedbacks, used to love it and do real well both buying and selling.  Those days are gone.

I generally start by trying to sell locally (Craigslist & FB Marketplace) and then move on to listing items on audio forums like the PSW Marketplace.  But, if the items don't sell through one of the "free" forums, then I list them on eBay because my main motivation is to clear the stuff out.  Also, I've learned that most of the audio gear that I have to sell are depreciating assets so its generally better to sell them on eBay and pay the fees than hold onto them until a local buyer shows up.  The biggest hassle for me is when I don't have a good box to ship the item in.  I paid UPS to box and ship a Dx38 and that set me back $62!  After eBay and Paypal fees I netted only 60% of the sale price :(

To the OP, I think you made the right call.  Not sure how they were going to scam you on this transaction since you had the funds, but why run the risk.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 23 queries.