Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Permanent Outdoor FOH Location

(1/4) > >>

Kelly_Dodge:
So, I'm working with a venue that does outdoor concerts in their parking lot each summer. We've been running power and CAT5s for a digital snake in a cable ramp setup. They'd like to use a trench instead.

So, I'd like to run 1 or 2 20 amp circuits and 6 or 8 CAT5/6 runs under a parking lot, maybe 80-100 feet. (In separate conduits.)

The stage end is pretty near a building. Can we tie in to the building power, run wires inside a conduit, and put a couple receptacles at the FOH end? Does it need it's own breaker box? (Jacks for the CAT5/6 seem pretty straightforward.)

Should I build some kind of pedestal (maybe with bollards?) or would it be better to put it in some traffic rated box in the ground? Is that run far enough I should put a pull box in the middle?

Just starting meetings to decide how it all works, and there is a local underground contractor that is volunteering to do the actual work...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Tim McCulloch:
Hi Kelly-

I suggest consulting with a licensed electrician in your locale.  Too many unknowns to give internet answers.

Mike Caldwell:
I will say you need to think about running a good ole fashion analog snake as well, at least a 12 X 4. Also use shielded CAT cable there's some equipment that has issues when connected with non shielded CAT cables.

Be sure to weather protect the connectors, that's tough to do, even if not directly exposed to the weather the connections will oxidize, no one will plug into a green oxidized connector.

That all said.... depending on the level of acts they bring in short of maybe power they may very well insist on using their own snake cables ect. from FOH to the stage.

Kelly_Dodge:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on April 15, 2019, 07:40:42 pm ---I will say you need to think about running a good ole fashion analog snake as well, at least a 12 X 4. Also use shielded CAT cable there's some equipment that has issues when connected with non shielded CAT cables.

Be sure to weather protect the connectors, that's tough to do, even if not directly exposed to the weather the connections will oxidize, no one will plug into a green oxidized connector.

That all said.... depending on the level of acts they bring in short of maybe power they may very well insist on using their own snake cables ect. from FOH to the stage.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the thoughts...

They use me almost exclusively for sound. In 30+ shows over 3 years, we've only used another snake once. If it came to that, I'd just get the cable ramps back out I think. (They don't have the budget for national acts. My little M32 rig has almost always been enough...)

-Kelly

Jeff Bankston:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on April 15, 2019, 06:19:36 pm ---Hi Kelly-

I suggest consulting with a licensed electrician in your locale.  Too many unknowns to give internet answers.

--- End quote ---
^ This ! ^ I am a retired commercial electrician.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version