ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX lighting bypass DMX Wall Controller  (Read 8435 times)

Alain Bouit

DMX lighting bypass DMX Wall Controller
« on: April 15, 2019, 03:40:43 PM »

I'm new to lighting, sorry for the newbee question.

Our church is planning to install a new DMX lighting board to control 20 LED light fixtures. They want to be able to have a preset panel on the wall to switch on the stage lights in case the AV person is not available. Basically a push button system that would turn on some lights without having to use the DMX light control in the AV booth in the back. How would I build that in to the system?

abouit

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: DMX lighting bypass DMX Wall Controller
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »

Our church is planning to install a new DMX lighting board to control 20 LED light fixtures. They want to be able to have a preset panel on the wall to switch on the stage lights in case the AV person is not available. Basically a push button system that would turn on some lights without having to use the DMX light control in the AV booth in the back. How would I build that in to the system?

abouit

You need to change to your real name to get a response on this forum, as stated in the rules.
Then We'll be happy to chime in.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Alain Bouit

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »

Sorry about that
>>I'm new to lighting, sorry for the newbee question.

>>Our church is planning to install a new DMX lighting board to control 20 LED light fixtures. They want to be able to have a preset panel on the wall to switch on the stage lights in case the AV person is not available. Basically a push button system that would turn on some lights without having to use the DMX light control in the AV booth in the back. How would I build that in to the system?

Alain Bouit

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »

I'm don't know of a way to do what you describe.
You may need to have some lights on a second controller.

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »

There are lots of possibilities.  Have you decided on a console?  Are you buying thru a full service dealer?  Will that dealer install and train your staff?
If you just want a simple button station, take a look at the Doug Fleenor ES2.  They also have more advanced controllers too.
Another option would be Pathway Connectivity Controllers like the Vignette or NSB.  The Pathway staff are known for being very helpful.
If you are going with ETC for your console there are lots of architectural options.  Perhaps the simplest would be the Inspire.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 12:03:22 AM »

abouit

A standalone go-to for what you want to do is the Fleenor PRE10A 10-button preset controller. It goes in the DMX line (daisy-chains) between your console and your dimmers or LED fixtures. When you power up your console, the preset controller is locked out. When you turn off the power to your console, the preset controller is active. You set up what scene/lights you want for each button on your console, press a recessed "Record" switch in the preset controller and then the button you want to record. Repeat 9 more times or 8 if you want to keep the 10th button for "Off" . The Springtree SM-8 works similarly and is a lot cheaper. I've installed many PRE10A's but never actually used the SM-8 (half the price). did.com and springtree.net
Scott Hofmann

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 08:13:55 AM »

The Fleenor PRE10A is the way to go for single universe applications.  I like the pathway vignettes for more complex systems where sacn is in use because it’ll do multiple universes and using priority it’s easy to have it automatically disable when the console is on.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »

The Fleenor PRE10A is the way to go for single universe applications.  I like the pathway vignettes for more complex systems where sacn is in use because it’ll do multiple universes and using priority it’s easy to have it automatically disable when the console is on.
Fleenor has recently come out with the PRE10E-A. Four universes with sACN in a 2-gang plate.
Scott Hofmann

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 03:23:30 PM »

Huh, I had no idea.  Very cool solutions for that specific issue.

Alain Bouit

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to check out the Fleenor PRE10E-A's.

So today we have 4 x Altman 1k Fresnels and 8 x PAR 64 that we plan to replace with 20 Chauvey slimPAR pros or something similiar. In addition we will be adding 6 LED chandeliers with 0-10v dimming capabilities. Haven't decided on what light board we should buy yet. I'm thinking we don't need more than a 1 Universe device. I'm linking a physical device as opposed to a PC.

Alain Bouit

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.