ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Microphone cable purchase  (Read 5157 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Microphone cable purchase
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »

True enough but when you’re looking down into a road case with fifty assorted mic cables color coding by length isn’t a bad thing. 

Say didn’t we just do this thread last week?

Meh...I can tell the rough length of a cable just by holding it. 10ft, 25ft, 50ft and 100ft cables all have a very distinct feel and weight. Not hard to tell which are which.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »

And, were you in the UK, the gold standard would be from VDC - Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE mic cable with Neutirk XLRs - either make them yourselves, or order pre-made from VDC.  There's really no other sensible choice unless you drop to a myriad budget options.

Bob Stone

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 11:56:00 AM »

True enough but when you’re looking down into a road case with fifty assorted mic cables color coding by length isn’t a bad thing. 

Say didn’t we just do this thread last week?

Except I don't want anything but black cables running along the floor. This isn't a backstage networking patch panel, it's mic cables that are visible.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 12:57:39 PM »

We bought a 600' roll of Canare starquad and a pile of Neutric ends, I think from Markertek.
The cables we ended up with, including labor, cost about the same as mid-range music store cables.
We used blue cable to keep them from walking away.
No one has ever complained about the color.
The lengths are labeled on one end.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:35 PM »

If you get any type of a professional discount with any national equipment retailer, you can get Rapco/Horizon Road Hog cables with black Neutrik connectors for less than $1/foot.

I enjoy building my own cables as much as the next guy, and do it when necessary, but... when I can get an assembled, ready-to-rock cable with a warranty for under $1/foot, I'll take that deal all day long.

For reference, my cost on a 25-foot RoadHog XLR-XLR cable is around $18 out the door. All I had to do was ask if they had some wiggle room on pricing, and that was it. We had 150+ RoadHog cables; none ever had any issues nor gave us any problems.

Steve Garris

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »

For cheap & easy these work fine as others have noted. I had only 2 go bad this past year, one I fixed easily.

https://www.audiopile.net/starline-microphone-cables

Greg Harwood

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »

All things considered, including quality/price/durability/handling/etc., it's really hard to beat Pro-Quad cables from Audiopile. 

You can get them with Neutrik connectors or a lesser priced but still good quality option.  Lots of lengths to choose from, blue or black casing, and as always top-notch service when dealing with Mark and Liz.  You simply can't go wrong with these.

I also like the SlimLine cables for those few occasions I need really long cables but want to keep down on bulk.x

Pro_Quad cables from Audiopile are nice.  I've been using them for years and have had no problems with any of them.  I get them with Neutrik connectors.

d.
Greg H.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »

If you get any type of a professional discount with any national equipment retailer, you can get Rapco/Horizon Road Hog cables with black Neutrik connectors for less than $1/foot.

Dang, those are some pretty expensive cables. I just bought a 656 foot spool of Canare L4E6S and built a bunch of cables. I spent less than half of that for the cable and Neutrick connectors.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 05:55:56 PM »

Dang, those are some pretty expensive cables. I just bought a 656 foot spool of Canare L4E6S and built a bunch of cables. I spent less than half of that for the cable and Neutrick connectors.

... yeah, but whats your time worth?  I can't justify the time to make plain XLR cables anymore.  I'll build custom adaptor thingies, but I buy Rapco NM1 from Mr. Pyle here when I need standard XLR cables. 

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »

... yeah, but whats your time worth?  I can't justify the time to make plain XLR cables anymore.  I'll build custom adaptor thingies, but I buy Rapco NM1 from Mr. Pyle here when I need standard XLR cables.

Yep, that was my point. I love to solder and build/fix things, but when it comes to cables, no thanks. The Rapcos use NC3MXX connectors and are really well-built. For under $20 per 25-foot cable, assembled, I'll happily pay that all day long. Four years of use, 80-shows per year, 150+ cables, zero issues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.