ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Microphone cable purchase  (Read 5159 times)

Kim Guibord

Microphone cable purchase
« on: April 14, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »

Hello everyone:

I am getting rid of my old mic cables and looking to purchase about 30 or so new cables .. A certain manufacturer comes to mind as one of the better choices.. Do you guys have ideas on good quality cables for a good price .. feel free to pm me if you do not feel comfortable listing manufacturers on here .... thanks.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Microphone cable purchase
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 03:23:40 PM »

Hello everyone:

I am getting rid of my old mic cables and looking to purchase about 30 or so new cables .. A certain manufacturer comes to mind as one of the better choices.. Do you guys have ideas on good quality cables for a good price .. feel free to pm me if you do not feel comfortable listing manufacturers on here .... thanks.

For the last 20 years or so we have used cables from Horizon.  The ones we get have held up very well over the years.  2 years ago we purged all of the old and purchased all new.  The old ones had between 18 and 7 years on them.  All of them were still working.

It should be noted the we are a Horizon dealer.  However, I am not trying to sell you anything.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »

What's cost-effective for you?

What's your definition of a quality cable?

We make our own from Mogami W2549 and Neutrik XX connectors. Our cables are extremely reliable, sound good and handle well at an acceptable price point for our shop.

Many others here roll their own from Canare L2T2 or L4E6 or Belden 8412 cable and connectors from  Neutrik, Switchcraft and ITT Cannon. The bulk cable ranges form 30¢ to $1.25 per foot and the connectors range from $2 to $15 each.

Hello everyone:

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Ben Ballard

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:46:14 PM »

Cordial CMK 222 Flex with Neutrix XX connectors on the ends.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 03:55:56 PM »

Hello everyone:

My first choice has always been the proco or rapco with the thicker butyl rubber outer layer. I just like the way they handle better. A lot of shops had these store branded as well.

I just don't see them listed on either website currently.

With that said, when quick and price effective is necessary, I have a lot of ewi cables from audiopile with both the house ends and the neutrix and never had had a problem with either (other than a few of the house ends going out of round from stage abuse).

I still make about 50% of the ones in my personal collection

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

dave milton

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:15:53 PM »

All things considered, including quality/price/durability/handling/etc., it's really hard to beat Pro-Quad cables from Audiopile. 

You can get them with Neutrik connectors or a lesser priced but still good quality option.  Lots of lengths to choose from, blue or black casing, and as always top-notch service when dealing with Mark and Liz.  You simply can't go wrong with these.

I also like the SlimLine cables for those few occasions I need really long cables but want to keep down on bulk.

d.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 04:18:38 PM by dave milton »

Tom Provenza

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 08:14:18 PM »

Belden 1192A with Black Neutrik x for me. Majority of my cables pushing 15 years of service.
------------------

Tom Provenza

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 09:21:31 PM »

I always roll my own...Black w/ Gold plated contacts Neutrik connectors, and what ever good deal I can get on bulk cable from Belden, Canare, or Gepco. Individual cables, snakes, sub snakes, snake boxes, insert and patch bay cables for the studio, you name it, I make my own.

Pros:
You get exactly what you want
Top quality components that out last the cheap ready made stuff
Cost the same or less as cheap ready made stuff

Cons:
You spend a few hours soldering cable

Rick Powell

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 11:04:49 PM »

Roll my own, Neutrik NC3MXX/NC3FXX black w/gold pins, Canare L46ES. I use blue jacket for 10 ft. shortys and black jacket for 25 footers. I suppose I could've gone black with all of them and get those snap-in connector clips to color-code them.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:36:40 AM »

I use blue jacket for 10 ft. shortys and black jacket for 25 footers. I suppose I could've gone black with all of them and get those snap-in connector clips to color-code them.

Meh...I can tell the rough length of a cable just by holding it. 10ft, 25ft, 50ft and 100ft cables all have a very distinct feel and weight. Not hard to tell which are which.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:36:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.