ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What is in your PPE bag?  (Read 5395 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
What is in your PPE bag?
« on: April 13, 2019, 03:40:22 PM »

I have:

Helmet, over spec safety glasses, hi vis vest, steel toed shoes, gloves.

I am thinking of adding some ear muffs in addition to the molded plugs that are always on me.

No harness, as I don't climb anymore.

Usually have some basic comfort items as well, extra socks, boxers, antiperspirant.

Considering personal first aid kit.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Lyle Williams

Re: What is in your PPE bag?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »

Noise dosimeter?

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 08:27:14 PM »

I have:

Helmet, over spec safety glasses, hi vis vest, steel toed shoes, gloves.

I am thinking of adding some ear muffs in addition to the molded plugs that are always on me.

No harness, as I don't climb anymore.

Usually have some basic comfort items as well, extra socks, boxers, antiperspirant.

Considering personal first aid kit.

Any other suggestions?

Emergen-C powder packs.  Ibuprophen 200mg tablets.  Tums chewables.  Neosporin or Bacitracin ointment.  Band-Aid strips and patches of various sizes.  Benadryl tabs and cream.  Zeiss optical wipes (pro tip: good for lenses and wounds).  Kleenex travel pack.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:43:38 AM »

In addition to the items mentioned, a cpr microshield and 3 pr. of nitrile gloves in my size (xl), carried on my tool belt.  A fine pair of tweezers, for splinters.  A NCVT (volt stick), my own DVM, a spare (old) pair of Rx glasses.  Trauma shears (for all sorts of jobs).  A Bloodstopper trauma bandage (in my big bag) and more nitrile gloves.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Matthias McCready

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 11:40:42 AM »

On the subject of first aid kits...  :)

I used to do EMS, so I have seen some extensive kits.

I used to work with a doctor, who was the area EMS director, routinely when the local ER (where he also worked) would not have the item he needed (specific type of chest tube etc) he would have someone raid his personal supply in his pickup.

Some of my medic friends would IV up with some saline before marathons and others long runs. Many would carry personal kits with an AED, airways, ventilator, IV's, and even some drugs.  :o

--

Having gloves and some bandages is great. Besides the mentioned medications maybe some aspirin (a vasodilator), which is the first step to saving a life, when someone is experiencing chest pain would be worth having in your bag. Also have a sugary snack or food, which can also save a life should someone be experiencing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) which can quickly cause death.

It might be worth including a tourniquet and trauma scissors in the kit for good measure, if you are really working in the middle of nowhere. If you can take a class and get some training; don't get sucked into the career, as the hours and pay are objectively worse than audio.  ;D ;D

----
It should be noted I personally don't carry most of the above, and those are the limits of what I think is reasonable. Beyond these things, the only other things I would recommend would be items for yourself (helmet, steel toes), and items of comfort. In regards to treating others there are usually others around who will be better prepared, trained, and where it is their job. It is really easy to do more harm than good, research changes quickly, and if you are not doing it for a living you are likely to do things improperly, just as we audio engineers would advise to leave hanging stuff to the professionals, emergent medical treatments usually should be as well.

While I hate to mention this, it is relatively easy to get sued, and thus proceeding with caution is always advised. There are of course times to help people, and there are other times to step back and let the professionals handle things. Professionals are *slightly* less likely to be sued and have the covering of a medical director and insurance. It is unfortunate, however it is a reality, at least in the States.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 02:48:25 PM »

It's been a disturbing trend this season that many people in entertainment want to add tourniquets, quikclot and body armor to their gig bags. This has been a big topic of discussion in several touring groups on Facebook, as of late.

A Bloodstopper trauma bandage (in my big bag) and more nitrile gloves.

My PPE kit is:
Hard hat
Hi viz vest
rigger's belt
earplugs
leather gloves
safety glasses

Site safety:
NCVT
Sound Tools on my phone and tablet (SPL)
Thermometer/hygrometer
Caution tape
lockout/tagout kit

First aid kit:
Bought in bulk from Amazon and Costco and made up kits everywhere for a few bucks each. Got this in my vehicles, my backcountry packs and in the gig bag, too. All this stuff will fit into a 1 quart ziplock bag. Refill as needed.
Aspirin (preferably not enteric coated)
Ibuprofen (take come BEFORE you get sore)
Benadryl (anaphylaxis and motion sickness and sleep med all in one)
Gu packet (glucose)
Betadine wipes
Nitrile gloves
Neosporin sachets
Moleskin
Cling gauze wrap 2"
ACE bandage 3"
Gauze pads
Cloth band-aids
triangle bandage
mylar blanket
gorilla tape (not gaff)
Lancet
Krazy glue (1001 uses, fill blisters and torn calluses, seal a wound)

Need a bigger bag to add:
Compression dressing
EMT Shears
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 02:51:53 PM »

In addition to the hard hat/eye protection/ear protection I also need to have enough life vests and clip-on glow sticks for everyone on my crew if we’re going to be on a boat/barge at night.  I’d say job-appropriate attire also falls into the PPE category too (including footware and gloves), as does having enough water to stay hydrated.  Repurposing ice from the cooler in a zip-lock bag placed behind the neck works wonders in addition to water, shade, and laying down should someone start succumbing to dehydration.  (Disclaimer - I’m not a doctor)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 04:07:09 PM »

It's been a disturbing trend this season that many people in entertainment want to add tourniquets, quikclot and body armor to their gig bags. This has been a big topic of discussion in several touring groups on Facebook, as of late.

My PPE kit is:
Hard hat
Hi viz vest
rigger's belt
earplugs
leather gloves
safety glasses

Site safety:
NCVT
Sound Tools on my phone and tablet (SPL)
Thermometer/hygrometer
Caution tape
lockout/tagout kit

First aid kit:
Bought in bulk from Amazon and Costco and made up kits everywhere for a few bucks each. Got this in my vehicles, my backcountry packs and in the gig bag, too. All this stuff will fit into a 1 quart ziplock bag. Refill as needed.
Aspirin (preferably not enteric coated)
Ibuprofen (take come BEFORE you get sore)
Benadryl (anaphylaxis and motion sickness and sleep med all in one)
Gu packet (glucose)
Betadine wipes
Nitrile gloves
Neosporin sachets
Moleskin
Cling gauze wrap 2"
ACE bandage 3"
Gauze pads
Cloth band-aids
triangle bandage
mylar blanket
gorilla tape (not gaff)
Lancet
Krazy glue (1001 uses, fill blisters and torn calluses, seal a wound)

Need a bigger bag to add:
Compression dressing
EMT Shears
It is kind of scary how much focus is on the first aid. For a time period when I was in the national guard, I ran the battalion medic platoon (even though I was infantry). I carried a medic bag, mostly as a mobile restock for the medics who knew how to use the stuff. One thing people tend to forget about the national guard is that members often have significant civilian experience. My battalion aide station was run by a nco who was a r.n. and two other nco's were emergency room nurses.

When I was asking I was thinking about myself going onto someone else's jobsite. For example, I like the idea of adding the nitrile gloves as I need larger than standard size.

Jay Barracato

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »

That first aid kit is tiny but treats 100 little things that can turn into big things if left untreated. I don't really want to be working while distracted with a splinter or headache or runny nose or blister. Don't want a staph infection because I didn't have a way to clean and dress a small cut.

You've been in the service, you know how fast troops can go down from seemingly trivial stuff.

If it helps, think of it as a "making you comfortable" kit instead of first aid.

It is kind of scary how much focus is on the first aid. For a time period when I was in the national guard, I ran the battalion medic platoon (even though I was infantry). I carried a medic bag, mostly as a mobile restock for the medics who knew how to use the stuff. One thing people tend to forget about the national guard is that members often have significant civilian experience. My battalion aide station was run by a nco who was a r.n. and two other nco's were emergency room nurses.

When I was asking I was thinking about myself going onto someone else's jobsite. For example, I like the idea of adding the nitrile gloves as I need larger than standard size.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Roger Talkov

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »

and if it hasn't been said before something topical for burns like Neosporin or similar.

Regards to the list,
Roger

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.