ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lectrosonics SMV Troubles  (Read 1574 times)

AndyMaser

Lectrosonics SMV Troubles
« on: April 13, 2019, 02:50:40 PM »

Hey fellow sound geeks. So I’m having a really weird issue with my Lectrosonics SMV transmitter. I bought this particular transmitter 6 months ago and have been having intermittent issues with it since then. I’ve had a SMQV transmitter for 6 years and have had zero issues with it ever, so I’ve just kinda assumed that my SMV troubles have been user error. It’s to the point where I really need to get this resolved.

I shot a quick phone video of a receiver during one of the times when the transmitter was acting up. We were all sitting in a car together driving in a rural area: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mkwRalwsb4IMAHGXXl2qW-ER-klRcm8U/view?usp=sharing
And here’s what it sounds like on the SMV (not synced to the phone video, but the same general time): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sy-m2rX_wMHMaVvOrv5dtUclF48TR_yx/view?usp=sharing
And just for a baseline, this is the exact same TC as the above audio file, but from another talent wearing the SMQV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12EPSokoonnVGbRdGN0MxyjVRL0xGUh9m/view?usp=sharing
Mics are both Sanken COS11.

It seems like it might be a RF dropout thing based on the readout on the receiver, but I’m definitely not confident of that diagnosis. It’s happened in a bunch of different parts of the world and it happens with different receivers. I always do a RF scan and use a clean channel, so that’s not the issue. I swap transmitters back and forth between my UCR401 receiver and my UCR411 receiver and regardless of which it’s connected to, the SMV gives me problems and the SMQV is always perfect.

In the instance recorded in the video, I was sitting right next to the talent who was laved and the batteries in his transmitter were good. This has happened several times at close (within 2-5 feet) range, so this isn’t an issue with the transmitter being too far away. And pretty much every instance I’ll also have a second talent hooked up with the SMQV transmitter and their signal is perfect.

I would so happy accept that the problem is user error, but I’ve had 6 years of 100% successful operation with my SMQV and that makes me a little skeptical of this SMV. I’ve also rented the waterproof Lectro transmitters a bunch and I’ve never had issues with them.

WTF?!

Just for reference, I'm a filmmaker who does sound. I'm not a dedicated sound person, but I have top end gear and I use it in situations where it's critical that it works.

MikeHarris

Re: Lectrosonics SMV Troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 03:12:47 PM »

As a Lectrosonics dealer I have had less issues than any other wireless brand
Did you purchase this new ?

AndyMaser

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »

As a Lectrosonics dealer I have had less issues than any other wireless brand
Did you purchase this new ?

Yes, I purchased it new from B&H in June of 2018.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »

In the instance recorded in the video, I was sitting right next to the talent who was laved and the batteries in his transmitter were good. This has happened several times at close (within 2-5 feet) range, so this isn’t an issue with the transmitter being too far away.

Sometimes too close can cause problems, too, especially if you've got multiple channels of wireless mics going. I'll admit I'm not as familiar with the Lectro product, but from a basic RF troubleshooting standpoint, I have a couple of questions:
  • Does the SMV do this when you aren't also using the SMQV?
  • Does the problem seem to be less frequent when the receivers are further away from the transmitters?
  • Are you using any other wireless equipment near the receivers?
  • What transmit power are the SMV and SMQV set to?
-Russ

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 10:32:42 AM »

Hey fellow sound geeks. So I’m having a really weird issue with my Lectrosonics SMV transmitter. I bought this particular transmitter 6 months ago and have been having intermittent issues with it since then. I’ve had a SMQV transmitter for 6 years and have had zero issues with it ever, so I’ve just kinda assumed that my SMV troubles have been user error. It’s to the point where I really need to get this resolved.

Have you contacted Lectrosonics about this? They're usually quite responsive. Are you running the latest firmware?
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »

Hey fellow sound geeks. So I’m having a really weird issue with my Lectrosonics SMV transmitter. I bought this particular transmitter 6 months ago and have been having intermittent issues with it since then.

Please contact our Parts & Repair department. They can help troubleshoot the problem and/or set up a Repair Order so we can look at it. They'll ask you for the model & serial number, and they'll probably ask what kind of batteries you're using, microphone type, wiring, etc. If you send it in, they may want the whole system (mic, transmitter, receiver) to properly solve the issue. 800-821-1121 or [email protected]
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.