ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on implementing a new mixer  (Read 5720 times)

duane massey

Re: Advice on implementing a new mixer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 02:44:58 PM »

I can buy a new XR18 for $410. Used for $ 300. I appreciate the suggestions, but I have used several Behringer X-series boards and the quality for my purposes is fine, certainly better then the Yamaha powered mixer I am replacing.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 04:12:27 PM »

Can I run both tracks and control the XR18 via a laptop hardwired?

On a technical level, the answer is absolutely. Neither control software or audio playback software should tax a modern laptop particularly hard at all, especially if the computer is only used for that task and has been optimized with live sound in mind. The only caveat is that you'll need separate connections between the laptop and the XR18 for control (Ethernet) and audio (analogue or USB).

Would I be smarter to have a separate control surface for the XR18 from the track playback?

Probably. If nothing else, it will give you the confidence to know that you won't accidentally fire a track while making mix adjustments.

Having two devices also removes a single point of failure when both devices are set up to fulfil both roles if needed. This is especially important with something like an X-Air (as opposed to an X32 Rack) because it has literally zero built-in controls. If your only control laptop doesn't boot at the next venue then the actual status of your X-Air is pretty irrelevant...

Eventually I may add a control surface, as I really prefer physical controls [...]

One of the advantages of the X-Air platform over some other digital box mixers is how easy it is to add physical faders. Of course, the X-Touch will cost you more than the X-Air it's connected to...

-Russ

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 06:24:41 PM »

I can buy a new XR18 for $410. Used for $ 300. I appreciate the suggestions, but I have used several Behringer X-series boards and the quality for my purposes is fine, certainly better then the Yamaha powered mixer I am replacing.
There really is nothing wrong with the XR18 and the price is unbeatable.

Just make sure you spend time to ensure that you're fully au fait with the networking side, and with the interface before you gig with it.  The same goes for any surface-less mixer - as it's not so "grabbable", you need to be rock solid with the interface.

That said, my XR18 is an absolute joy every time I use it - especially in those situations where an analogue snake would have been a real pain.

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 01:17:42 AM »

Thanks, everybody, great info here.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 09:02:08 AM »

Thanks, everybody, great info here.

I'm in the X-air camp too. Great little mixers, with some fantastic high-end plugins available if you want to use them.

FWIW, my gig computer is an ancient (in computer years) Lenovo X61T. It has a dual core 1.6gh processor and 4 gigs of ram. Not much computer nowadays, but I can stream audio from the internet, control an X32 or X-air, and look at cats on the internet all at the same time.

A single laptop or iPad will do you just fine.

Also, you may look into grabbing a second-hand BCF2000 to set close to you. This gives you 8 physical faders that are pretty easy to interface with the X mixers.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »

I'm in the X-air camp too. Great little mixers, with some fantastic high-end plugins available if you want to use them.

Hi Tim,

I like my X-Airs, too, but realize that others may feel differently. It does seem like once the guy says he's going with XR-18 or whatever that the comments to "try this other thing instead" should stop. And maybe they have.

When you say "high-end plugins (are) available" do you mean something that lives on your computer and interacts with the mixer during use, or the built-in effects of various kinds and types that can be used in the effects buses or inserted on channels, up to a limit? I'm aware of the latter but not the former.

And I don't think you can add to the factory stock set of effect devices, or can you?

TIA.

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. XR18 is within my limited budget (originally wanted an X32 Producer), and I've worked with the X32 before. For my first set-up I will probably just use a laptop as suggested.
Eventually I may add a control surface, as I really prefer physical controls, but I rarely make signifigant adjustments during the night, as we control our dynamics and balance pretty well as it is already. Mostly looking forward to presetting the effects and comp/limiters, as we currently only use a bit of reverb.
We currently do mostly restaurant gigs with an occasional private event, and my set-up needs to be as compact and streamlined as possible.

For what it's worth, not trying to sway the purchase one way or another... if the reliability of hard wire connection is important, but physical control surface is not as important, there is no competition for the tried-and-tested Mackie DL1608. Docking the iPad physically allows it to be reliably connected to the mixer, it also charges the iPad.

I do prefer the audio quality of Mackie digital mixer over Behringer X-Air series. The Mackie Master Fader user interface is very versatile, matching that of much more expensive digital mixer. Its compression, gate, and effects are very usable as well. It is pretty responsive with no noticeable lag if your iPad is not a slouch.

The Mackie DL1608 does have its shortcomings... for outdoor sunny gigs, the sun beating down on the iPad can make an old iPad thermal shut-down, like some phones in car in hot sunny days do. During those circumstances, I actually had to get a shade for the iPad. But for indoor gigs it's not a problem.

Also, if you want to go wireless, you would need to bring a wireless router and connect it to the DL1608 via Ethernet cable. So it's not as streamlined if you do want to go wireless control.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:37:03 PM by Sean Chen »
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 04:55:53 AM »

When you say "high-end plugins (are) available" do you mean something that lives on your computer and interacts with the mixer during use, or the built-in effects of various kinds and types that can be used in the effects buses or inserted on channels, up to a limit? I'm aware of the latter but not the former.

And I don't think you can add to the factory stock set of effect devices, or can you?
No, it's simply the current annoying tendancy to call built-in effects on all digital mixers "plug-ins".  Quite irksome, really.  And no, they can't be added to other than by a firmware update from the manufacturer - which some manufacturers have done, but never hold your breath - even if they suggest they will.

For what it's worth, not trying to sway the purchase one way or another... - [but buy a] Mackie DL1608.
Sigh....

Docking the iPad physically allows it to be reliably connected to the mixer, it also charges the iPad.
No good if you want to use an Android device, and it really won't cope with every form factor of iPad.

Also, if you want to go wireless, you would need to bring a wireless router and connect it to the DL1608 via Ethernet cable. So it's not as streamlined if you do want to go wireless control.
Take that as a requirement for all digital mixers.  A decent external router/access point is always recommended.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:14:20 AM by Alec Spence »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 09:02:19 AM »

There are open box and refurb Ui24s on ebay for $750 right now.
That's closer to the XR18 price.

In the UK, the XR18 is close to half the price of a UI24.  £335 vs. £629.

Steve.

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »

Take that as a requirement for all digital mixers.  A decent external router/access point is always recommended.

In the lower cost sector, the X-Air series, UI, and DL16S/DL32S with the integrated access point is definitely more streamlined for wireless mixing, as compared to higher end digital mixers that don't have this built-in feature. Priorities are different: convenience vs. reliability/responsiveness

Hence, the first question that should be determined is: is the mixing primarily wireless or direct? Once this is determined, the path of product choices is very different.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 25 queries.