ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on implementing a new mixer  (Read 5722 times)

duane massey

Advice on implementing a new mixer
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »

I'm finally stepping into the digital age for my live gigs, and looking for some pointers. I getting an XR18, which seems to hit all the bullet points for my needs, including a limited budget. Here's the scenario:
This will be set up next to my keyboard rig. Same band, same set-up every time.
I have no need to use a wireless control surface.
I am also going to start using mp3 drum tracks instead of a drum machine, which I will need a method of playback.
I cannot see small screens, so I either need a big tablet or a laptop.
Can I run both tracks and control the XR18 via a laptop hardwired?
Would I be smarter to have a separate control surface for the XR18 from the track playback?
This is a major step for me, so I am open to any suggestions, other than buy a more expensive mixer.

Thanks in advance!
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
Re: Advice on implementing a new mixer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 02:03:34 PM »

I'm finally stepping into the digital age for my live gigs, and looking for some pointers. I getting an XR18, which seems to hit all the bullet points for my needs, including a limited budget. Here's the scenario:
This will be set up next to my keyboard rig. Same band, same set-up every time.
I have no need to use a wireless control surface.
I am also going to start using mp3 drum tracks instead of a drum machine, which I will need a method of playback.
I cannot see small screens, so I either need a big tablet or a laptop.
Would I be smarter to have a separate control surface for the XR18 from the track playback?
This is a major step for me, so I am open to any suggestions, other than buy a more expensive mixer.

Thanks in advance!

I think if it were me I would have a tablet / ipad  with headphone out to the 17/18 inputs for playback and run the tracks from there.   I don't recall the XR18 having a playback interface like the X32 rack does.   The tablet/ipad would not need a network connection.

Then just have a wired laptop to manage the mixer.  Setting the ip addresses  is a little funky for the XR18 but there is lots of info out here on the web to detail that.   Would be something like the PC has 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 and mixer has 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0.   They should talk with that setup.

Good luck it's a nice little mixer.

--Kevin

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 04:12:54 PM »

The soundcraft Ui series had USB stick recording and playback built in and support outboard monitors.
They have built in wifi to use any Pad-like surface for control.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:13:58 PM »

Should not be a problem if the computer is any good at all, USB to the mixer for audio and ethernet between them for mixer control.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 11:02:48 PM »

I think if it were me I would have a tablet / ipad  with headphone out to the 17/18 inputs for playback and run the tracks from there.   I don't recall the XR18 having a playback interface like the X32 rack does.   The tablet/ipad would not need a network connection.

Then just have a wired laptop to manage the mixer.

I'd suggest this routing as well. Getting the tracks into actual physical channels is helpful so the workflow is the same as all other channels when routing to auxes, mains, etc.

With a previous band I sometimes ran the Xair mixer app on my touchscreen PC, connected direct to the ethernet. I also ran an audio player (Spotify, mostly) from the laptop via the headphone out to channels 17-18. I did not run tracks, so no exactly what you are doing, but my laptop (Lenovo Yoga 720) ran both the mixer app and audio app just fine. I also occasionally did a 16 channel multi-track recording via the Xair's USB to the laptop, at the same time. Worked great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHVB-1nckY/

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 12:10:10 AM »

Before taking the plunge on the Behringer, at least audition a UI-24.  To my ear, it is a better sounding board by a long way.  As far as control goes there are a myriad of options out there.

I run from an iPad when mixing on stage.  I also use a 21.5 inch Dell all in one touch screen when using it as FOH.  Play back tracks from the laptop/MP3 player.

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 01:07:24 AM »

Thanks for all the replies. XR18 is within my limited budget (originally wanted an X32 Producer), and I've worked with the X32 before. For my first set-up I will probably just use a laptop as suggested.
Eventually I may add a control surface, as I really prefer physical controls, but I rarely make signifigant adjustments during the night, as we control our dynamics and balance pretty well as it is already. Mostly looking forward to presetting the effects and comp/limiters, as we currently only use a bit of reverb.
We currently do mostly restaurant gigs with an occasional private event, and my set-up needs to be as compact and streamlined as possible.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Roland Clarke

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »

Thanks for all the replies. XR18 is within my limited budget (originally wanted an X32 Producer), and I've worked with the X32 before. For my first set-up I will probably just use a laptop as suggested.
Eventually I may add a control surface, as I really prefer physical controls, but I rarely make signifigant adjustments during the night, as we control our dynamics and balance pretty well as it is already. Mostly looking forward to presetting the effects and comp/limiters, as we currently only use a bit of reverb.
We currently do mostly restaurant gigs with an occasional private event, and my set-up needs to be as compact and streamlined as possible.

Hi Duane, as suggested above, do take a look at the Soundcraft UI24,  pretty good option at this end of the market.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »

Hi Duane, as suggested above, do take a look at the Soundcraft UI24,  pretty good option at this end of the market.

And FWIW, I got my Soundcraft Ui24 (refurb - looks brand new) for $600.

I agree with those suggesting it. That, with a large touchscreen laptop.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »

There are open box and refurb Ui24s on ebay for $750 right now.
That's closer to the XR18 price.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.