ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teenagers fatally electrocuted while rescuing dog from canal  (Read 1705 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety

Here's another sad one.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jacob-hourmouzus-jacob-schneider-fatally-electrocuted-dixon-california-rescuing-dog-irrigation-canal/

Mike

=================================

Two 17-year-old boys who jumped into a Northern California irrigation canal to rescue a dog were killed when they grabbed onto an electrified bridge, authorities said Tuesday. Jacob Hourmouzus and Jacob Schneider died of electrocution, according to the Solano County Sheriff's Department.

The department told The Sacramento Bee the pair was crossing a bridge over the canal with two other teenagers and the dog Monday afternoon when the animal either jumped or fell into the water. Hourmouzus and Schneider tried to pull themselves and the dog out of the fast-flowing water by grabbing hold of the bridge, which had an electric current running underneath it.

As the electricity froze their grip to the bridge, another teenage boy jumped in and managed to knock them free, sheriff's officials said. Meanwhile, a teenage girl with the group called 911.

The boy who jumped in after the two was Schneider's cousin, Kelby Holland, CBS station KOVR-TV reports. "He was saving his dog," Holland told the station. "He loved his dog a lot, and I had the unfortunate role of jumping in after them, but it happens."

Holland managed to pull Hourmouzus, Schneider and the dog to the shore by the time authorities arrived. Hourmouzus and Schneider died Monday night at a hospital; the dog was injured and survived.

Hourmouzus' mother, Candy Carrillo, told CBS station KPIX-TV that her son "paid the ultimate price" for trying to help his friend. "I've just tried to wrap my hands around my son not ever coming home or saying, 'Good morning, Mama,' or, 'I love you,' or his birthday in May or graduation," Carrillo said.

Carrillo complained there were no signs anywhere in the area warning that the bridge was electrified or that the water in the canal was dangerously swift. "They could have put up signs. They could have fixed the downed power lines or the short circuit they had. They could have prevented these kids from going down these roads," she told The Bee.

Sheriff's officials said they were trying to learn why electricity, since shut off, was running through the bridge southwest of Sacramento. Hourmouzus and Schneider both attended Dixon High School, where Principal Stephanie Marquez said counseling was being made available to their fellow students.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Teenagers fatally electrocuted while rescuing dog from canal
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 04:51:12 PM »

The thing that I found most interesting while watching the videos, is that everyone seemed to accept the idea that a metal bridge structure could have an elevated contact-voltage. They seemed to be mostly concerned that there was no warning signage telling them the bridge was "electrified". Of course, ANY metal structure close to electric power must be properly bonded to the service panel's or generator's "ground".

This is something I have nightmares about for portable metal stages sitting in a big water puddle. Unless the stage is properly bonded to the incoming EGC/Ground, then something like an extension cord pinched in a stair riser could allow the same sort of tragedy to occur. 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »

This was mentioned in the 'Man suffers electrical shock ' thread on this forum.
There's something extra sad about this happening while trying to do a good deed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:03:05 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.