ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One of the rubber feet broke off on my Yamaha DXS15!  (Read 2322 times)

Chris Doyle

One of the rubber feet broke off on my Yamaha DXS15!
« on: April 09, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »

I noticed my sub was a little wobbly at he last gig and I thought maybe one of the rubber feet had worn down more than the others, which I thought was strange because I had replaced them all not that long ago.  I ordered a new set of feet and was going to replace the one that was worn.  When I went to unscrew the foot, the whole thing broke and fell into the speaker, leaving a hole!  Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it.  The bottom piece of the cabinet is particle board, so I thought I would just glue and screw a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to it, and attach the feet to that.  Then I thought, why not install removable casters as well, so that it is rollable, and then could still rest on rubber feet when the casters are removed?  What do you think?  I value the expert knowledge on this forum!   

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: One of the rubber feet broke off on my Yamaha DXS15!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 01:53:03 PM »

Take the driver out and you'll probably find the T-nut attached to the magnet. Plop it back into the hole and splooge some silicone on it to keep it in place. Silicone can deal with the heat, moisture, and vibration better than most glues....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »

I noticed my sub was a little wobbly at he last gig and I thought maybe one of the rubber feet had worn down more than the others, which I thought was strange because I had replaced them all not that long ago.  I ordered a new set of feet and was going to replace the one that was worn.  When I went to unscrew the foot, the whole thing broke and fell into the speaker, leaving a hole!  Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it.  The bottom piece of the cabinet is particle board, so I thought I would just glue and screw a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to it, and attach the feet to that.  Then I thought, why not install removable casters as well, so that it is rollable, and then could still rest on rubber feet when the casters are removed?  What do you think?  I value the expert knowledge on this forum!

I think you'll find removable casters are a pain.  But a wheel board with holes cut in where the rubber feet land so it 'locks' into place might be a good notion.  Also, put a handle cutout in for carrying it.  Wheel board can also then do double duty as a dolly for other things.  Just make sure you squirrel it away well once you've loaded in or someone in the kitchen will walk away with it to use to move trashcans or something.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Chris Doyle

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »

Take the driver out and you'll probably find the T-nut attached to the magnet. Plop it back into the hole and splooge some silicone on it to keep it in place. Silicone can deal with the heat, moisture, and vibration better than most glues....
I wasn't clear when I said it left a hole.  The entire piece of particle board that is countersunk to house the rubber foot broke off, so now there is like a 2 inch diameter hole in the bottom of the cabinet.  That's why I said I'm thinking of adding a piece of plywood to the entire bottom of the cabinet.
I can anchor the rubber feet to the plywood along with the removable casters, and when the casters are off it will rest on the feet.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »

I wasn't clear when I said it left a hole.  The entire piece of particle board that is countersunk to house the rubber foot broke off, so now there is like a 2 inch diameter hole in the bottom of the cabinet.  That's why I said I'm thinking of adding a piece of plywood to the entire bottom of the cabinet.
I can anchor the rubber feet to the plywood along with the removable casters, and when the casters are off it will rest on the feet.

Seems like the sub got dropped hard.

As suggested above, open it up to remove debris and perhaps find the broken section attached to a driver magnet by the t-nut.

While open, use epoxy to remount the broken segment and fill the gaps. Use some wood (paint stirrer?) with more epoxy to back it up. Sand, paint and install foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 11:54:13 AM »

Seems like the sub got dropped hard.

^^ THIS ^^

I'd not be surprised if the woofer is damaged - pole piece, magnet, coil - or perhaps vulnerable solder points on the PC board.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Doyle

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »

^^ THIS ^^

I'd not be surprised if the woofer is damaged - pole piece, magnet, coil - or perhaps vulnerable solder points on the PC board.

I'll open it up and inspect it.  I'm usually the one moving it, or if not I'm always nearby, so I would definitely know if it had been dropped.  I did buy it used though so maybe it was before I had it and just now weakened to the point that it broke.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 04:14:02 PM »

If there was previous damage and a heavy weight was dropped/placed on the corner over the foot,  it could certainly pop the particle board.
If you re-glue it, glue a piece of 1/4" ply to the inside to spread the load a bit past the break.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »

Those are very nice looking sub cabinets, with the full face grille. I never liked the 18" with the weird angled cut. It's really too bad they chose to make them from MDF (probably that instead of "particle board"). Since the issue is on the bottom, I like the idea of adding plywood, but also be sure to apply glue across the entire mating surface of the piece of plywood that you add for reinforcement. Be careful not to add it all the way across the bottom or you might make an unintended change to the cabinet tuning; just reinforce the corners.
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.