ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't like operating "singer's" phone for backing trax? Beat this.  (Read 10224 times)

W. Mark Hellinger

Re: Don't like operating "singer's" phone for backing trax? Beat this.
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »

What, no one has a story of someone wanting to play an 8 track tape?
One better:  A few years ago I was handed a Schulmierich carillon cart/tape the group wanted played for background music at a Christmas event.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2019, 10:55:14 AM »

One better:  A few years ago I was handed a Schulmierich carillon cart/tape the group wanted played for background music at a Christmas event.

What did they say when you told them that you could not play it.

David Allred

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2019, 01:00:00 PM »

"You are charging us far in excess of our budget... And you don't even have the right equipment?"

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »

They were understanding and admitted they thought it might be a long-shot... but the group really, really wanted to hear the Christmas bells... again... and admitted decades had passed since they last heard them because their church's carillon hadn't functioned in as-long... which is where the tapes came from.  Within the week I paid a visit to their church and got their carillon functioning.  The problem was that a jury-rigged "repair" from some time in the distant past had failed... the electrical tape used to hold a vital portion of the tape transport apparatus together had given-up... the tape was used in-place of a screw that had fallen out... the screw was laying in the bottom of the relay rack cabinet housing the carillon… I reinstalled the screw.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2019, 05:25:29 PM »

They were understanding and admitted they thought it might be a long-shot... but the group really, really wanted to hear the Christmas bells... again... and admitted decades had passed since they last heard them because their church's carillon hadn't functioned in as-long... which is where the tapes came from.  Within the week I paid a visit to their church and got their carillon functioning.  The problem was that a jury-rigged "repair" from some time in the distant past had failed... the electrical tape used to hold a vital portion of the tape transport apparatus together had given-up... the tape was used in-place of a screw that had fallen out... the screw was laying in the bottom of the relay rack cabinet housing the carillon… I reinstalled the screw.

Nice save.
"If you want the impossible, call the Sound Guy".
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2019, 02:39:48 PM »

Great story!!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »

Did you offer the service to make back up copy to a couple different media formats for them.

I've seen a couple of those in churches and a couple other various versions of broadcast cart machine players for bell playback.

Some of the mechanical bell striker playback systems are interesting to say the least.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 08:17:15 AM »

Last sunday the drummer showed up with a Roland electronic drum thingy, where the rider had a acoustic drums set.

So he hands me this box and shows me all 8 trs jacks for the different outputs...

I just used his LR outputs, which were XLR. I guess drums sound very different with earcans compared to a decent PA...

Steve Mason

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2019, 01:06:47 AM »

Shoot for as uncompressed a file format as you can. But def agree that the more common the format the better.

In all seriousness, the best you can do is transcode them into as ubiquitous a format as you can: .txt, .jpg/gif, .pdf, .wav, .mp4, etc. and then store multiple copies. 

Proz Act Audio
Relax. We got ya covered.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2019, 05:17:12 AM »

Phillips DCC tape.............  yeah nah.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2019, 05:17:12 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.