ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't like operating "singer's" phone for backing trax? Beat this.  (Read 10443 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Don't like operating "singer's" phone for backing trax? Beat this.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »

Oh - another story comes to mind... (I have a ton)

A few years ago, doing live sound for an international audiophile expo, and on the last day of the event, they ask if I can play a record through the PA, to help support a listening party.

I explained that I didn't have a record player, but if they could find one at the event/expo, we could definitely connect it to the PA system.

They show-up with a $10,000 record player and then borrow some vendor's $6,000 stylus. There's a crew of guys calibrating the record player and getting everything dialed-in. They hand me a pair of RCA cables that were thicker than my 12/3 SOOW cable and ask where they should plug in to.

I give them a $150 Radial DI box, connected to my $30 Rapco Horizon Roadhog XLR cables.

You should've seen the look on their faces. It was as if I had insulted their mothers.

Still sounded really, really good. They played an album that I was extremely familiar with, and I was amazed by how great it sounded, even with my "piddly, low-rent cables."

What did you do for a phone preamp?  Did you have to manually dial in the EQ curve?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 05:59:09 PM »

What, no one has a story of someone wanting to play an 8 track tape?

Reading all these stories I feel quite lucky. My worst (best) story is when I was hired to play guitar in an original band. They had a good album out, a decent following and the promised pay was reasonable, so I accepted. Only after accepting the gig I discovered the band had no PA, no sound guy, and no budget. I should have bailed at that point, but in a moment of stupidity I agreed to handle sound AND play if they paid me extra.

So we get to the gig, I set up the PA, sound check goes well, and we are good to go. Moments before the show starts the band leader calls us all outside, gives his pre-show speech, and then tells us that we all have to make a grand entrance while his recorded "theme" music is playing. Problem is he didn't have a copy of the music on him and he absolutely wanted the music to start before any of us stepped back inside. I kept thinking of the Monty Python "Trojan Rabbit" scene. Needless to say I didn't do many more gigs with that band.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 06:26:33 PM »

What did you do for a phone preamp?  Did you have to manually dial in the EQ curve?

Yes. We had the PA nice and flat from the previous two days. Took a little tweaking on the EQ for the Phono via DI, and used *lots* of gain. Thankfully, the dLive handled it with aplomb.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Man,. You guys ever worked a cheer and dance event?  Dante should have made a 10th circle for this special kind of hell!  It's insuferable.   The soccer Mom's queue up all days.  The veterans act like the people in line in the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode, the Newbees show up with every type of media imaginable.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 09:05:27 PM »

i have a couple of mid 70's Radio Shack phono pre-amps somewhere in the bottom of my trucks Box-O-Junk. Pop in a 9V, and off we go.
Done that maybe 3 times in the last 30 years!
Those AudirPhools would have had a stroke if I handed them one of those, and a RCA to 1/4" home built cable.... (or a couple of Imp's, depending on distance.)
Hey, we get er done, right ?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 11:24:09 PM »

Dance companies with MiniDiscs. No, I don't have a MD player. Or a DAT player, for that matter. (Gawd, I feel old.)

Sony MiniDiscs, wow, haven't heard that name in a long time.  I think there might be a tote in the shop that still has one, but it hasn't been used in probably 15 years....

Scott Slater

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 07:47:00 AM »

I had got through five CD players and ended up with one just playing the left channel.

I was thinking to myself, watch the client show up with a split track CD where the music source was on the right channel...   :o

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 07:50:33 AM »

I was thinking to myself, watch the client show up with a split track CD where the music source was on the right channel...

That would be 'you're having a selection of interval music from my phone'.

Steve.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »

My most recent was a dance group showing up with a hand full of blueray DVD disc that had some mysterious audio files on them.

Told them I had nothing with me that would even recognize a blueray disc so I watched them fumble around trying to get not one but two or their laptops to play those disc.

They did manage to get one to work but it took forever to load as they changed the disc, each disc seemed to only have one song on it.

It's just a matter of time till someone shows up with....

- 3/4 U Matic video tape that was recorded with PCM audio.
- DLT tape that has the audio files on it.
- A handfull of 8 inch floppys.
- A Elcaset
- Laser video disc
- Syquest 5 1/4 disc
- ADAT

There's hundreds more, those are what I could think of quick and have used in one way or another over the years.

John L Nobile

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »

How about when they leave you a phone and when you need it you find that it's now locked and have to run around looking for the owner.

Years ago it was cassettes that they said were cued but weren't. Person's on stage...Music starts .."Stop. You got the wrong spot"....FF, hit play. "Further ahead". FF, play..."Uhhhh, Further ahead I think"....FF, play..."Uhh I think you passed it"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.