ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't like operating "singer's" phone for backing trax? Beat this.  (Read 5413 times)

Steve Ferreira

Re: Don't like operating "singer's" phone for backing trax? Beat this.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 10:25:22 am »

Now I hide out front and mix with an iPad....made my life much better. They don't know who to bitch at...:)

I need to do this more often... lol

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 11:24:14 am »

A couple of years ago, a promoter asked me to bring a CD player.  Fair enough.  I tested my CD player at home. It kept skipping tracks.  Found another one. Not much better. I borrowed one from a friend.  No matter what CD I put in it, it played the first 7 seconds of track 1 and stopped.
I then bought a cheap, portable player.  Got it home and it was skipping tracks too.
Finally, I borrowed one from another friend which seemed to work.  I set it up and one side was fine, the other had some weird distortion which sounded like a broken driver - on some new speakers I hadn't used before.  I was relieved when the noise changed sides when I swapped the leads over.
It turned out that the promoter only wanted a CD player for a particular CD to play in the interval.  I had got through five CD players and ended up with one just playing the left channel.  All five were disposed of that weekend.

Steve.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 11:42:38 am »

A couple of years ago, a promoter asked me to bring a CD player.  Fair enough.  I tested my CD player at home. It kept skipping tracks.  Found another one. Not much better. I borrowed one from a friend.  No matter what CD I put in it, it played the first 7 seconds of track 1 and stopped.
I then bought a cheap, portable player.  Got it home and it was skipping tracks too.
Finally, I borrowed one from another friend which seemed to work.  I set it up and one side was fine, the other had some weird distortion which sounded like a broken driver - on some new speakers I hadn't used before.  I was relieved when the noise changed sides when I swapped the leads over.
It turned out that the promoter only wanted a CD player for a particular CD to play in the interval.  I had got through five CD players and ended up with one just playing the left channel.  All five were disposed of that weekend.

Steve.
Other than this one, think I've been thru every single one of the other "experiences" referenced above!
Back in the days before digital prevalence, I put on a local "jazz" band at a OUTDOOR festival who insisted that their singers perform with their own CHEAP entry-level headset mics, saying they were fine IN other venues. There were 5 of them. None of them sang loud (think Simply Red levels).
It was a WINDY day. OK. so I had a couple of the Presonus ACP88's in the outboard rack and tried to use the gates to block wind noise on the headset mics. Worked great, except not one of singers were singing loud enough to trigger the threshold.
When I lowered that so the vocals came thru, I got all the wind noise in between.  Tweaking gain structure did not help as they were CHEAP mics so I'm left somewhat helpless.
Their manager wasn't happy.. but <shrug>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:05:57 pm by Steve Oldridge »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 12:26:31 pm »

I lost one festival after the Mom went under the Caution Tape and started hitting me on my back. I told her to get the F out of there. She was the Mayor of the community....

And being mayor gives her the right to do that?
I think NOT.

I <started> to get shit at one festival, because the dance instructor put the casette in the deck, all cued up, on the wrong side .....
She was gracious enough to hold off "Screaming Mommy"

My standard practice was 1 song, I'll take care of it. More than one, I'm not the DJ.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

scottstephens

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 12:58:01 pm »

Hey all,

Thanks to you guys here, I purchased a Denon Media player. It plays CD's, SD's, USB's and has a 1/8" input. I thought I was covered for everything. STUPID ME! Somebody showed up with a cassette!!!

You can't make this shit up!

Scott

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 01:31:31 pm »

Dance companies with MiniDiscs. No, I don't have a MD player. Or a DAT player, for that matter. (Gawd, I feel old.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 02:14:47 pm »

Last year I had a guy call me a week before a local fest and asked me if I could bring a DAT machine for his dance group. I explained that I didn’t have in stock one anymore but I could play a CD, Cassette or digital file and he was welcome to bring in his own machine and I could interface the unit with my PA.

He informed me that he did not own or have access to a DAT machine and “every other sound guy has one”.

At the show I was handed a very distorted cassette and after their “performance” which consisted of kids stumbling around forgetting their moves and he went and bitched to the promoter. She came over and apologized to me saying that they won’t be invited back next year.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 03:38:52 pm »

Think back to the Dukane record player/filmstrip projector with 50 Hz silent strip advancement.

Sigh, talent shows....one day one of us will do one and be supersized when a real talent does pop up.
 i keep a cheap dvd/cd player around, just in case. Also adapters. Just make sure you don't bring it out until theirs eyes start to bulge.

Steve Litscher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 04:44:53 pm »

Oh - another story comes to mind... (I have a ton)

A few years ago, doing live sound for an international audiophile expo, and on the last day of the event, they ask if I can play a record through the PA, to help support a listening party.

I explained that I didn't have a record player, but if they could find one at the event/expo, we could definitely connect it to the PA system.

They show-up with a $10,000 record player and then borrow some vendor's $6,000 stylus. There's a crew of guys calibrating the record player and getting everything dialed-in. They hand me a pair of RCA cables that were thicker than my 12/3 SOOW cable and ask where they should plug in to.

I give them a $150 Radial DI box, connected to my $30 Rapco Horizon Roadhog XLR cables.

You should've seen the look on their faces. It was as if I had insulted their mothers.

Still sounded really, really good. They played an album that I was extremely familiar with, and I was amazed by how great it sounded, even with my "piddly, low-rent cables."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 05:00:36 pm »

Dance companies with MiniDiscs. No, I don't have a MD player. Or a DAT player, for that matter. (Gawd, I feel old.)

I have a nice Panasonic DAT machine that hasn't been powered up in 10 years, or used for 15 years.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 05:00:36 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.