ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple channel DI box.  (Read 10433 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: Multiple channel DI box.
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 07:11:45 PM »

I have the Radial in the rack configured as it was - XLRs to the front. I have the D snake along with it both mounted in a 4u rack with wheels. As the Gator 4u wheeled rack is slightly deeper than a standard 4 u rack to accommodate the wheel recess inside (and I have used 4 space),  I get an extra 1 u space.
Although it cannot be utilized for another rack piece (due to the wheel placement),  it works great to allow me to bring the power cord to the front.
This then means I don't have to remove the rack back at shows. I just place it on stage and pull the power cord out through the front slot - nice and quick. Thing is, either way I mount the D8, I have to have access to the back of it and would have to remove the back when in use - unless......
........I install a patchbay of sorts.
So... my question.
Is this a good idea?...I want to make sure to purchase or build a quality patch bay to make sure I get the benefit from the quality built into the Radial DI and I also need to know whether it makes a difference if the connectors are balanced or not as the DI is designed to accept unbalanced.

Hold on ... I gotta edit this... I was getting ahead of myself.

So if I add a patchbay, then I'll not have room for the cable anymore anyway so ....

I have another rack which is 6 u... I could use that instead and then still have the 1u for the cable ... there... that makes more sense now...

A hole saw and a recessed NEMA 5-15 could be handy here. Put the recessed male somewhere it won't interfere with the rack great and just plug an extension cord in to it.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 07:24:48 PM »

A hole saw and a recessed NEMA 5-15 could be handy here. Put the recessed male somewhere it won't interfere with the rack great and just plug an extension cord in to it.

Ooh yes - good thinking. That would neaten things up a bit too. I could then keep everything in the wheeled rack: install 8 TRS through connectors into the rack mount and a NEMA connector too........
So I still need to know if it matters whether the TRS connectors should be balanced or not...

Actually I could make it an IEC connector..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2019, 08:08:55 PM »

Ooh yes - good thinking. That would neaten things up a bit too. I could then keep everything in the wheeled rack: install 8 TRS through connectors into the rack mount and a NEMA connector too........
So I still need to know if it matters whether the TRS connectors should be balanced or not...

Actually I could make it an IEC connector..

Don't do the TRS through connectors, major point of failure.  You want to install panel mount jacks and solder the cables in place.  Also provide a bar below to strain relief the wire so it won't break off the solder.  You can then lace, velcro or heaven forbid zip tie the cable to it.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2019, 08:38:30 PM »

Don't do the TRS through connectors, major point of failure.  You want to install panel mount jacks and solder the cables in place.  Also provide a bar below to strain relief the wire so it won't break off the solder.  You can then lace, velcro or heaven forbid zip tie the cable to it.

Thanks Scott. I'm good with soldering ... strain relief bar makes perfect sense.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2019, 10:22:27 PM »

Thanks Scott. I'm good with soldering ... strain relief bar makes perfect sense.

I remembered you had mentioned you like to solder before.

My biggest issue anymore is seeing.  I use a stereoscopic microscope designed for PC board rework but connectors are now a challenge. 

The ravages of old age.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2019, 10:40:55 PM »

I remembered you had mentioned you like to solder before.

My biggest issue anymore is seeing.  I use a stereoscopic microscope designed for PC board rework but connectors are now a challenge. 

The ravages of old age.

I can sympathize Scott.... I sometimes struggle unless I use a magnifier ...

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 02:24:30 AM »

Well thanks to a VERY considerate  forum member, I am now the proud owner of a used but cared for Radial Pro D8. It is already installed in my DSnake rack and ready to go to work!!!
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions...

BTW,  the drummer  chose to get 2 x dual channel boxes and a single one - he preferred that they packed up smaller for him.
I’m missing something here. What is your intended use for a rack mount 8 input di? What are you planning on running into it and
where will it be positioned on stage?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:23 AM »

I’m missing something here. What is your intended use for a rack mount 8 input di? What are you planning on running into it and
where will it be positioned on stage?

Robert - You always seem confused by my choices…..here are some earlier posts that gave my reasoning:

----------------------------------------------------------------- 
"Because of this discussion I am thinking that it might be a good idea to get a rack mounted multi channel passive unit for myself if I can find a decent one at a good price. Perhaps place it in the D snake rack ( I have some room) and always have it readily available.
I do like being able to place the individual boxes I already own right where I need them but on the stages we play, a rack mount DI unit positioned right next to the stage box would never be that far away from the performers keeping instrument cables pretty short."

------------------------------------------------------------------
'I have to be honest - I don't own any other Radial boxes and I couldn't be happier to be able to offer something of this quality to players going forward at the PA hire shows we do. I like the convenience factor of being rack mounted too."

"I agree with your comment regarding 'losing' a DI box - they are so easy to pop in a bag or pocket and might not be missed right away. If one of mine went missing, the loss wouldn't be quite as bad as losing a Radial.
Having this D8 in the rack keeps it REAL safe!!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW - I already used the D8 on saturday for drum module and keys and it was really handy to have racked and out of the way.
I usually have the rack opposite side of the stage to the QU PAC at the back wall and utilize both for inputs.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »

Robert - You always seem confused by my choices…..here are some earlier posts that gave my reasoning:

----------------------------------------------------------------- 
"Because of this discussion I am thinking that it might be a good idea to get a rack mounted multi channel passive unit for myself if I can find a decent one at a good price. Perhaps place it in the D snake rack ( I have some room) and always have it readily available.
I do like being able to place the individual boxes I already own right where I need them but on the stages we play, a rack mount DI unit positioned right next to the stage box would never be that far away from the performers keeping instrument cables pretty short."

'I have to be honest - I don't own any other Radial boxes and I couldn't be happier to be able to offer something of this quality to players going forward at the PA hire shows we do. I like the convenience factor of being rack mounted too."

"I agree with your comment regarding 'losing' a DI box - they are so easy to pop in a bag or pocket and might not be missed right away. If one of mine went missing, the loss wouldn't be quite as bad as losing a Radial.
Having this D8 in the rack keeps it REAL safe!!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW - I already used the D8 on saturday for drum module and keys and it was really handy to have racked and out of the way.
I usually have the rack opposite side of the stage to the QU PAC at the back wall and utilize both for inputs.

Hi Debbie, I didn't mean to be critical of your set up. I apologize if I came off that way. I was hoping to gain some insight on how you plan to use such a device. I have seen DIs in this form factor and only thought them to be useful for musicians like your eDrum friend or a keyboard rig where you would need multiple DIs at a single location. My experience is that individual DIs are more practical as you can place them in close proximity to the musician that requires one.
I can't imagine running instrument cables from bass, keys, acoustic guitar, etc, to a central location and then running another set of instrument cables back to the musicians amplifiers. My understanding is you want to keep instrument cables as short as possible (10' max) as they are unbalanced, and the longer the length, the greater the chance of picking up electrical interference or acting as an antennae.
Something just occurred to me that someone may know the answer to. Let's say you connect a bass to a DI box using a 10' cable and then use another 10' cable to link back to the bass amp. Do the two 10' cables combine and act as a 20' cable? I believe the input and thru connectors on a DI are direct connections.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:35:06 PM by Robert Lunceford »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »

Hi Debbie, I didn't mean to be critical of your set up. I apologize if I came off that way. I was hoping to gain some insight on how you plan to use such a device. I have seen DIs in this form factor and only thought them to be useful for musicians like your eDrum friend or a keyboard rig where you would need multiple DIs at a single location. My experience is that individual DIs are more practical as you can place them in close proximity to the musician that requires one.
I can't imagine running instrument cables from bass, keys, acoustic guitar, etc, to a central location and then running another set of instrument cables back to the musicians amplifiers. My understanding is you want to keep instrument cables as short as possible (10' max) as they are unbalanced, and the longer the length, the greater the chance of picking up electrical interference or acting as an antennae.
Something just occurred to me that someone may know the answer to. Let's say you connect a bass to a DI box using a 10' cable and then use another 10' cable to link back to the bass amp. Do the two 10' cables combine and act as a 20' cable? I believe the input and thru connectors on a DI are direct connections.

I'm thinking use with samplers and "recorded enhancement" sources or keyboard players with big rigs; most of those situation do not involve a dedicated on-stage instrument amplification system.

That said, I think a separate 2 space rack with a 1/4" input loom, say 10-12 feet long and an XLR output loom/multi core that's 25 ft long would be an ideal package.  We use such a thing a few times a year, mostly on "fly dates" for the "unplayed by human hands" recordings where the performers are carrying the least amount of gear possible.  The extra rack space is for cable storage...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.