ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple channel DI box.  (Read 10443 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Multiple channel DI box.
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »

Rob, I'm guessing that if the power fails, you've got bigger problems than losing your "active" DI's :o
Digital console, snake, amps, PA and all kinds of other outages will occur with power loss.
I see no reason to NOT consider active DI's if power failure is the only negative :)

That said.. I DO prefer placeable, passive DI's !!

I was referring to the above comment where there was a power supply for the multi DI set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »

I am seeing a few of the Pro Co DB4 units around used and this might be a good option. Has anyone used one of these?

Not the DI's, but I have Pro Co MS-42 (4 channel) rack mount Splitters that perform well.

As to the "A" suffix, I assumed that was a designation for Active, but that's not the case.  The DB4A might just be a revision to the original model.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 07:15:38 PM »

Well thanks to a VERY considerate  forum member, I am now the proud owner of a used but cared for Radial Pro D8. It is already installed in my DSnake rack and ready to go to work!!!
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions...

BTW,  the drummer  chose to get 2 x dual channel boxes and a single one - he preferred that they packed up smaller for him.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 07:34:49 PM »

Well thanks to a VERY considerate  forum member, I am now the proud owner of a used but cared for Radial Pro D8. It is already installed in my DSnake rack and ready to go to work!!!
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions...

BTW,  the drummer  chose to get 2 x dual channel boxes and a single one - he preferred that they packed up smaller for him.
]
So the drummer got his own DIs and you got a D8.  Remember that little talk we had about Gear Acquisition Syndrome, Debbie?  ::)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 07:44:50 PM »

]
So the drummer got his own DIs and you got a D8.  Remember that little talk we had about Gear Acquisition Syndrome, Debbie?  ::)

yeah .... yeah I do Tim.....doh....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Roland Clarke

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 11:48:37 AM »

The D8, is a great device, great passive rack DI!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 12:16:23 PM »

The D8, is a great device, great passive rack DI!

I have to be honest - I don't own any other Radial boxes and I couldn't be happier to be able to offer something of this quality to players going forward at the PA hire shows we do. I like the convenience factor of being rack mounted too.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 04:26:55 AM »

Although I don’t own any rack mounted DI’s myself, they definitely have a place for certain shows.  I’m terrible in the fact that my DI’s are an old BSS 116 and the rest are Behringer DI 100’s.  They are fine for my requirements, I’d be sick if I lost a Radial J48, and the graphics are not very long lasting.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »

Although I don’t own any rack mounted DI’s myself, they definitely have a place for certain shows.  I’m terrible in the fact that my DI’s are an old BSS 116 and the rest are Behringer DI 100’s.  They are fine for my requirements, I’d be sick if I lost a Radial J48, and the graphics are not very long lasting.

I have a couple of Whirlwind Imps and a couple of Rolls stereo DI boxes myself and they have been fine for my needs.....
I agree with your comment regarding 'losing' a DI box - they are so easy to pop in a bag or pocket and might not be missed right away. If one of mine went missing, the loss wouldn't be quite as bad as losing a Radial.
Having this D8 in the rack keeps it REAL safe!!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »

I have the Radial in the rack configured as it was - XLRs to the front. I have the D snake along with it both mounted in a 4u rack with wheels. As the Gator 4u wheeled rack is slightly deeper than a standard 4 u rack to accommodate the wheel recess inside (and I have used 4 space),  I get an extra 1 u space.
Although it cannot be utilized for another rack piece (due to the wheel placement),  it works great to allow me to bring the power cord to the front.
This then means I don't have to remove the rack back at shows. I just place it on stage and pull the power cord out through the front slot - nice and quick. Thing is, either way I mount the D8, I have to have access to the back of it and would have to remove the back when in use - unless......
........I install a patchbay of sorts.
So... my question.
Is this a good idea?...I want to make sure to purchase or build a quality patch bay to make sure I get the benefit from the quality built into the Radial DI and I also need to know whether it makes a difference if the connectors are balanced or not as the DI is designed to accept unbalanced.

Hold on ... I gotta edit this... I was getting ahead of myself.

So if I add a patchbay, then I'll not have room for the cable anymore anyway so ....

I have another rack which is 6 u... I could use that instead and then still have the 1u for the cable ... there... that makes more sense now...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:11:56 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.