ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple channel DI box.  (Read 10440 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Multiple channel DI box.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 06:15:05 AM »

The company run by that Austrian fellow makes 4x and 8x units if there is a tight budget.

This one by that "Austrian" fellow...
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-DI800-Professional-Phantom-8-Channel/dp/B0002E50WC
$117.41
Active DI - I had one, and it was quite versatile, and sounded pretty reasonable on things like acoustic-electric guitars, keys, and such. It's still in use eight years later in my friend's rig.
If your friend needs five, the four channel boxes plus another DI is just more junk to forget at home or leave on the job.

frank

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 12:37:52 PM »

Debbie, your post says that your friend needs five channels "right now".  May I suggest that means he ought to buy eight channels now. Whether that is a 1U eight channel unit, or two four channel units might be an open question. I suspect that two four channel units (such as the Audiopile mentioned above) might give him a better cost-value than a more specialized eight channel unit.  Weight and size are other side of that coin, however.  Best wishes. Let us know what he gets.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 11:55:49 AM »

I am seeing a few of the Pro Co DB4 units around used and this might be a good option. Has anyone used one of these? Also I see the DB4 and the DB4-A and was wondering if anyone might know the difference between the 2...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 12:10:44 PM »

This one by that "Austrian" fellow...
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-DI800-Professional-Phantom-8-Channel/dp/B0002E50WC
$117.41
Active DI - I had one, and it was quite versatile, and sounded pretty reasonable on things like acoustic-electric guitars, keys, and such. It's still in use eight years later in my friend's rig.
If your friend needs five, the four channel boxes plus another DI is just more junk to forget at home or leave on the job.

frank

I was helping at a club that had one of these and traced a problem to one of the channels. Moved the line over one slot and on went the show.  The eight channels will give you three spares unless the PS fails.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »

I was helping at a club that had one of these and traced a problem to one of the channels. Moved the line over one slot and on went the show.  The eight channels will give you three spares unless the PS fails.

Mmmmm... I'm a bit wary of how much this one might color/degrade the quality.
I am by no means a Behringer hater - I have owned and still own a few items myself but I am realistic and I realize that some of their less expensive products are not so good....so where does this one lie??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 12:22:59 PM »

Why use a multi active DI where they all fail if power fails?

Go passive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 12:24:47 PM »

Go passive.

Good point and I ( my drummer friend) would prefer passive anyway.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 12:30:07 PM »

Because of this discussion I am thinking that it might be a good idea to get a rack mounted multi channel passive unit for myself if I can find a decent one at a good price. Perhaps place it in the D snake rack ( I have some room) and always have it readily available.
I do like being able to place the individual boxes I already own right where I need them but on the stages we play, a rack mount DI unit positioned right next to the stage box would never be that far away from the performers keeping instrument cables pretty short.

My friend needs something anyway because I will not always be the one to run his sound and he needs a permanent solution.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 12:41:10 PM »

Because of this discussion I am thinking that it might be a good idea to get a rack mounted multi channel passive unit for myself if I can find a decent one at a good price. Perhaps place it in the D snake rack ( I have some room) and always have it readily available.
I do like being able to place the individual boxes I already own right where I need them but on the stages we play, a rack mount DI unit positioned right next to the stage box would never be that far away from the performers keeping instrument cables pretty short.

My friend needs something anyway because I will not always be the one to run his sound and he needs a permanent solution.
I would definitely reconsider the whirlwind combo drop snake/ di in this situation.

Plus they are passive. No power needed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 02:39:49 PM »

Go passive.

Rob, I'm guessing that if the power fails, you've got bigger problems than losing your "active" DI's :o
Digital console, snake, amps, PA and all kinds of other outages will occur with power loss.
I see no reason to NOT consider active DI's if power failure is the only negative :)

That said.. I DO prefer placeable, passive DI's !!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:28:34 PM by Steve Oldridge »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 02:39:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.