ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple channel DI box.  (Read 10426 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Multiple channel DI box.
« on: April 06, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »

I am helping a friend to program and set up his acoustic/ trigger hybrid drum kit for his new 80's synth band. He came over the other night with his Roland SPD and I was getting him connected up - we tried the easy/simplest method to go from his module to the PA just using 1/4" to XLR cables but we got some ground noise so I used my DI boxes which of course cured the problem.
He is about to invest in some DI boxes but before he does, is there another option for him that would be better than using all separate boxes?
Right now he needs 5 outs and is considering getting 2 dual channel DI boxes and a single channel box giving him the 5 channel count - is there a single DI box that offers 5 -8 channels - maybe rack mountable?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Multiple channel DI box.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »

I am helping a friend to program and set up his acoustic/ trigger hybrid drum kit for his new 80's synth band. He came over the other night with his Roland SPD and I was getting him connected up - we tried the easy/simplest method to go from his module to the PA just using 1/4" to XLR cables but we got some ground noise so I used my DI boxes which of course cured the problem.
He is about to invest in some DI boxes but before he does, is there another option for him that would be better than using all separate boxes?
Right now he needs 5 outs and is considering getting 2 dual channel DI boxes and a single channel box giving him the 5 channel count - is there a single DI box that offers 5 -8 channels - maybe rack mountable?

Radial has 8ch versions of the JDI, J48 and I presume others.
There are also dual versions of several.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 01:47:21 PM »

I've had great results with this brand:

https://www.audiopile.net/FDB-404

Justin Waters

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 02:37:18 PM »

I've had great results with this brand:

https://www.audiopile.net/FDB-404

I have 2 of these racked with a small 8 channel patch snake on both input and out.  1/4" side to the brain on my edrums and the XLR side to the stage snake or mixer.  Have had them for about 5 or 6 years and havent had a problem. 

Roland Clarke

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 02:40:17 PM »

I was working with Republica last night and the keyboard player had a Radial D8 passive rack box, absolutely fine with line level signals.  He loves it.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 04:17:12 PM »

Whirlwind makes a four channel rack mount version of the Director DI box.

I've put a couple of those in some custom rigs guitar rigs I've built.

MikeHarris

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »

Di drop snake.
Whirlwind made me a 8 channel drop snake 30 years ago when I wanted the DIs not stolen and not a mess of cables.
They can and will make anything you want...inexpensive director txfmrs to Lundahls your choice...your length

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 05:39:13 PM »

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Good suggestions here. It is all very well scouring the interweb for these things (which I did already but obviously not well enough - LOL ) but quite another to have solid recommendations.....
I will pass on these suggestions to my drummer friend.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »

Rackmount 8 unit DIs will do it, but are a little overkill.

Does he have a rack that would accommodate a 1u unit.  If so, then go for the rackmount option as a pretty neat fit.

If not, then over in the UK I'd be very tempted to get 5 Orchid Electronics Micro DIs and tape them together into a block.  A very neat solution for a pedalboard.

Or, of course, get the right unit custom made.  If passive is OK for you then it would be fairly easy to get a suitable sized case, fit 5 jack sockets, 5 XLR sockets and 5 transformers inside.  Nice and compact.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 05:29:05 AM »

The company run by that Austrian fellow makes 4x and 8x units if there is a tight budget.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 05:29:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.