ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digico my worst nightmare high end mixing console  (Read 31463 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Digico my worst nightmare high end mixing console
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2019, 10:43:21 PM »

We'll, there were two different versions of the PM5D, the original version (analog gain) the RH version (recallable head amps). Both had different preamps. Admittedly, the RH improved the preamp sound from the original version.

I'm only picking this out because it so illustrates your point [and mine too].

Back when the PM5d came out, i clearly remember one of the alleged selling points for the NON-RH headamps were that they "sounded better" than the recallable ones.  At least that's the mantra i heard again and again.  i only mixed on the 5d a couple of times, so i have no personal experience in this, but clearly your experience is literally the opposite from what the established wisdom was, at least in my circles at the time.  To be crystal clear, i'm NOT saying you're wrong.  I'm saying that the fact that your experience is the polar opposite of mine just proves how ridiculous all of this is.

/begin rant

i'm so tired of things that are obviously subjective [sound of preamps, desks, etc.] being discussed as if they are objective facts with clear winners and losers.  It's just nonsense.  The differences are minuscule and utterly irrelevant.  I've mixed thousands of shows and never once had someone complain about the "sound" of my console or preamps or whatever.  Yet multi-million dollar buying decisions are based on this nonsense.   it just makes me Crazy...

sorry. i'll get off my box now...

/end rant
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »

I'm only picking this out because it so illustrates your point [and mine too].

Back when the PM5d came out, i clearly remember one of the alleged selling points for the NON-RH headamps were that they "sounded better" than the recallable ones.  At least that's the mantra i heard again and again.  i only mixed on the 5d a couple of times, so i have no personal experience in this, but clearly your experience is literally the opposite from what the established wisdom was, at least in my circles at the time.  To be crystal clear, i'm NOT saying you're wrong.  I'm saying that the fact that your experience is the polar opposite of mine just proves how ridiculous all of this is.

/begin rant

i'm so tired of things that are obviously subjective [sound of preamps, desks, etc.] being discussed as if they are objective facts with clear winners and losers.  It's just nonsense.  The differences are minuscule and utterly irrelevant.  I've mixed thousands of shows and never once had someone complain about the "sound" of my console or preamps or whatever.  Yet multi-million dollar buying decisions are based on this nonsense.   it just makes me Crazy...

sorry. i'll get off my box now...

/end rant
^^^ The rant is right ^^^

FWIW we were exclusively a Yamaha shop for almost a decade and I don't recall any of the Yammy professional console preamps being "hissy" in live music use when the console was gain staged appropriately.  99.7% of any hiss was from the SOURCE - microphone, DI box, guitar amp, bass rig, etc.  The consoles had a noise floor below that of the PA system.

Recording might be a different story, but the preamps in the DM series were basically the same design as used in the PM5D and there are thousands of video soundtracks and TV shows that were mixed on them.  I don't recall the SBE having hissy fits over them.

ps. I recently had a discussion with a guy who works for Music Group/Midas (I wish I'd asked him about a couple other things) who fully believes the snake oil regarding the Mythic Midas Preamp stuff.  My opinion is the effect has been duplicated in newer designs but if you want the real deal you need to find an XL200/250.  I politely listened to his spiel and wished him safe travels.

pps: Same fellow indicated that Funktion One had a founding member return to TurboSound.  Anyone know what Tony is up to these days?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2019, 08:05:30 AM »

Definitely, but Yamaha did a great job in having hiss in all of them.

Anyway, this thread is about Digico, so I will rest my case here.

Easy way to bail on your bomb-throwing there.

I semi-retired from a mostly Yamaha house, spent a lot of years  updating and care and feeding of 5Ds, M7s, and lately, a pile of CLs and QLs.

I retired to play music again. But even I know, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Even a bass player knows the importance of proper gain structure (as well as how to handle an inherently noisy console, which ain’t a Yamaha).

There's nothing wrong with dis-liking a piece of gear. Making up stuff to justify that dislike is wrong.

Go back to SynAudCon class. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:09:27 AM by Geri O'Neil »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2019, 08:52:24 AM »

ps. I recently had a discussion with a guy who works for Music Group/Midas (I wish I'd asked him about a couple other things) who fully believes the snake oil regarding the Mythic Midas Preamp stuff.  My opinion is the effect has been duplicated in newer designs but if you want the real deal you need to find an XL200/250.  I politely listened to his spiel and wished him safe travels.

Interesting.  I was talking with someone at Midas, I've forgotten exactly who now, who said the Midas Pre mystique now days is merely a marketing ploy, kept up for various rea$on$.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2019, 11:12:05 AM »

Even a bass player knows ...

Now, now....no need to get nasty  ;) .

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John P. Farrell

« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »

There's nothing wrong with dis-liking a piece of gear. Making up stuff to justify that dislike is wrong.

Go back to SynAudCon class.

Nah man, Full Sail online degree!
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »

I've heard noisy LS9 preamps. That's how I discovered the 2 gain ranges where the preamp is at max gain before one of the pads kicks out. (I think it's like at -13 and -27 or something, I forget).
Whether or not all LS9 preamps were noisy, I don't know, certainly some I ran into were, but I wasn't scientifically testing each one. Never a problem one the show started, but definitely hearable with headphones and nothing plugged into the console.
I've never heard this issue on PM5D/CL/QL/RIO.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »

Bu By. Ths topic should have ended a long time ago. Now the nail is in the coffin.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.