ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Freelance System Measurement & Tuning in the Southwest  (Read 3406 times)

Noah D Mitchell

Freelance System Measurement & Tuning in the Southwest
« on: April 05, 2019, 11:39:59 AM »

Hello,

I have a few install systems, from medium to very large, that we'd like to have a professional come spend a day (or a few) measuring and tuning in the Southwest region.

If you or someone you know might be interested, drop me a PM. We'll pay going rates plus travel, hotel, food expenses.

Thanks!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Freelance System Measurement & Tuning in the Southwest
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:14:32 PM »

The southwest is pretty big, can you narrow it down a bit?

Hello,

I have a few install systems, from medium to very large, that we'd like to have a professional come spend a day (or a few) measuring and tuning in the Southwest region.

If you or someone you know might be interested, drop me a PM. We'll pay going rates plus travel, hotel, food expenses.

Thanks!
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »

I'm holding out the slim hope that they mean in the UK.
If not, I wouldn't mind visiting America...

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:16:59 PM »

Knowing what the equipment is would be helpful.  You want someone familiar with the capabilities of the speakers you have, and while you can determine that in a reference check or interview - it’s going to save everyone time if you just give the info upfront.  Or you’ll get the ankle biters who can read the software but don’t know what it means...   taking good measurements is one thing.  Knowing what to do with those results is another. 

Disclaimer: I’m not necessarily in the camp that knows what to do with the results but I know enough to pay for people that do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

Cailen,

You're right, more info would be helpful.

Located in Northern AZ.

The primary system is Danley powered by Powersoft X and T, in a 40,000 s/f room.

Experience with Cardiod Sub Arrays is a plus.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 03:42:58 PM »

Have you spoken to your dealer/integrator about your issues?

As a dealer for both Danley and Powersoft, I'd certainly be expecting to provide post-sale support to my clients.

Cailen,

You're right, more info would be helpful.

Located in Northern AZ.

The primary system is Danley powered by Powersoft X and T, in a 40,000 s/f room.

Experience with Cardiod Sub Arrays is a plus.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 09:10:19 PM »

Have you spoken to your dealer/integrator about your issues?

As a dealer for both Danley and Powersoft, I'd certainly be expecting to provide post-sale support to my clients.

Great question.  The original dealer had full, very highly experienced, system tuning included in the contract. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 12:43:34 PM »

Great question.  The original dealer had full, very highly experienced, system tuning included in the contract.

.... which leads me to believe there is a back story to the rig is question.

I was brought in to evaluate an arena system that generated more complaints than intelligible audio, but mostly at hockey games.  In the course of my eval I determined that some loudspeakers were mis-aimed (and their rigging is welded to structure) and that a recently terminated employee had likely gotten into the system DSP, as there were speakers working that should not have been, and much system limiting was no longer in place.  The final thing was the "as built" book was missing from the premises.  I speculated that *someone* was editing a system preset (hockey/basketball/event) and wiped out the settings created by the installer and then "fudged" a preset as best he could (and hence the missing as-built).  I wrote my report and to the best of my knowledge nothing much has been done.  Aligning and optimizing this system will require starting from scratch and the venue managers are uninterested in spending the $$ it will take to do that work.

So what happened to the system Jonathan is asking about?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:46:22 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 01:17:38 PM »

The problem with this sort of situation, you are effectively being asked to reverse engineer the system.  Hell, someone else might make a better job of it, but the easy solution would be to go back to the original supplier and see if they kept a back-up of the system processing files or not.  I’m assuming that these installs were purchased?  If not, you could realistically expect to call them in as part of their leasing/rental maintenance contract.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »

The problem with this sort of situation, you are effectively being asked to reverse engineer the system.  Hell, someone else might make a better job of it, but the easy solution would be to go back to the original supplier and see if they kept a back-up of the system processing files or not.  I’m assuming that these installs were purchased?  If not, you could realistically expect to call them in as part of their leasing/rental maintenance contract.

In the situation I mentioned above, I was investigating complaints from the hockey team and individual patrons that were sent to the venue.  My recommendations that were followed (as best I can tell) were to mute in DSP certain inputs and outputs and for the new venue technical director to look at signal routing (why was the main program output feeding the voice warning system?); to make some patch bay changes to the analog side of the signal chain, and changing the announcer's microphone to a different brand/model.  I understand that eventually the patron complaints dropped significantly but I'm not aware of what specific actions were taken.

The system design/install company did not make a copy of the as-built for their files.  When the TD and I had them on conference call they basically said "we hand the book over to you guys when the acceptance is signed."  IOW - "you should have made a copy."

At least the part of the master audio DSP which control outdoors speakers (complete with announcement repeaters), various zones, assisted listening, and dedicate press/media feeds wasn't altered in any of the presets, as best we could tell.  The rest?  You can look at it as reverse engineering or simply "make this the best I can with the tools provided."  Both can be expensive.  The primary physical issue is re-mounting the 3 or 4 mis-aimed loudspeakers and until the hockey team sells another 5,000 seats at each game the team/venue can take the affected seats off sale.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.