ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: XLR Splitter for 1 Microphone to 2 Different Mixers  (Read 3179 times)

Stephen Beatty

Re: XLR Splitter for 1 Microphone to 2 Different Mixers
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 04:26:34 PM »

What didn't sound right? Have you heard the actual recordings?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 06:00:48 AM »

A group I am working with remotely has been complaining about the audio quality of the mix of their house system.

Before messing with all that check the transducers, input and output. If there are crap mics or crap speakers then there is no way it will sound good in the house. After that check the quality of the instruments on stage, if they are all cheap then well crap in = crap out.

Checking the processing has already been mentioned.

Is there anything wrong with the recordings?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 09:09:45 AM »

Before messing with all that check the transducers, input and output. If there are crap mics or crap speakers then there is no way it will sound good in the house. After that check the quality of the instruments on stage, if they are all cheap then well crap in = crap out.

Checking the processing has already been mentioned.

Is there anything wrong with the recordings?

I hear their live recording, and it sounds, how should I describe, not as open or transparent, but not technically "problematic". Their external studio recordings don't sound like this.

House speakers EAW FR153Z definitely could use upgrade,  but it shouldn't affect the recording. Perhaps its lack of pattern control causes unwanted bleed into the microphones. I just hooked them up with RCF NXL44a to improve the pattern control of mid lows. It will definitely sound better, but should also help clean up the live mics pickup.

They feel perhaps the preamps on the GLD/AR not as high end as their studio preamps, or the onboarding EFX are not like the studio EFX. I hooked them up with SQ and DX stage box along with Waves interface, so there may be incremental improvements in each of these. They truly wanted to go to DLive or Yamaha QL5,  but I talked them into trying the SQ/DX before taking the plunge for a $20k mixer.

They are using wired Beta 87a for lead vocalists, and I felt there is room for improvement there, and I sent them  KSM9HS, KSM9, & KSM8 to try.

I know, this is a shot gun approach, without me being there to pinpoint the weak link of the system in person.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:29:33 AM by Sean Chen »
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 04:28:07 PM »

If they are expecting the "live" recording to sound as good as the studio recording, that a pretty high expectation.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but sound on a stage almost never has the same kind of isolation between sources and lack of background noise as can be achieved in a studio.   Very few stages will have the same reverberation, resonance and reflection control, and diffusion characteristics that studios usually achieve.  Theaters are designed to support the live performance firstly from the visual perspective.  Sound in the audience area is important, but not in the same manner or for the same purpose as the recording environment.  This doesn't mean there aren't, or can't be, great live recordings.  But I think most peoples expectation of live recordings are not the same as for that for a studio album.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 04:28:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.