ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen & Heath DX168 and ME1 Connectivity for SQ Mixer  (Read 5531 times)

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
Allen & Heath DX168 and ME1 Connectivity for SQ Mixer
« on: April 03, 2019, 06:46:32 PM »

Hello,

I've searched through the entire Allen & Heath website for the SQ, ME1, DX168 product page for some information on how to hook up the ME1 to the DX168 that is hooked up to the SQ mixer. With the DX168 running 96 kHz and its DX A port hooked up to SQ console's S-link, can I connect the ME1 to the DX B port on DX168?

If not, would setting DX168 to 48 kHz allow ME1 to run off DX 168's DX B port?

Much help appreciated!
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Eric Snodgrass

Re: Allen & Heath DX168 and ME1 Connectivity for SQ Mixer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 07:38:51 PM »

According to the Allen & Heath ME manual and brochures that I read the ME 1 runs at 48kHz.  Not sure you can use the DX port as an extension for the ME 1.  You might be better off purchasing an ME U Hub for the ME 1 system. 
You can use the AB168 to hook up an ME 1 system as well, if running at 96kHz isn't important. 
The SQ runs internally at 96kHz anyway, even if an AB168 box is hooked up to it. 

Matthias McCready

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:42:02 PM »

Hello,

I've searched through the entire Allen & Heath website for the SQ, ME1, DX168 product page for some information on how to hook up the ME1 to the DX168 that is hooked up to the SQ mixer. With the DX168 running 96 kHz and its DX A port hooked up to SQ console's S-link, can I connect the ME1 to the DX B port on DX168?

If not, would setting DX168 to 48 kHz allow ME1 to run off DX 168's DX B port?

Much help appreciated!

Unfortunately the manual and webpages seem to have some discrepancies between what they suggest, regarding these connections. I sent support an email roughly a week ago and I still have not heard back.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:27:15 PM by Matthias McCready »
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 11:09:35 PM »

I can't answer the question but the couple of times I have called A&H support recently I have gotten a real person on the phone within a couple minutes at the most.

Going back some years ago I was having some issues with a sys link connection on a board and after a few back and forth emails working on the issue Carey Davies called me bright and early the next morning from England for some real time tech support while I had the board opened up in front of me.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 12:47:40 AM »

I can't answer the question but the couple of times I have called A&H support recently I have gotten a real person on the phone within a couple minutes at the most.

Going back some years ago I was having some issues with a sys link connection on a board and after a few back and forth emails working on the issue Carey Davies called me bright and early the next morning from England for some real time tech support while I had the board opened up in front of me.

True calling would yield quick results, however, at this point, I am more passively interested as I do not own the SQ series. If I were making a purchase or installing one I would get on the horn, until then.  ;)
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Mark Rombouts

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 02:30:34 AM »

SQ SLink port can do 96khz or 48khz. You can not mix these two on a single connection.

ME is 48khz.
DX168 is 96khz.
These can not be connected together on a single SLink port.

AB168 or AR2412/84 are 48khz and can be connected together with ME on a single SLink port.

Scott Slater

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 07:21:30 AM »

You would need to add a SLink expansion card to your SQ in order to run both a DX168 and an ME at the same time.  The ME cannot be connected to the DX directly since it is at 96kHz, and it is a different protocol.

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 07:47:20 AM »

You would need to add a SLink expansion card to your SQ in order to run both a DX168 and an ME at the same time.  The ME cannot be connected to the DX directly since it is at 96kHz, and it is a different protocol.

The expansion slot would have a Waves expansion card, needed for Sound Grid processing. So the SLink expansion method is not the preferred solution.

Thanks for all your valuable inputs. I will call Allen & Heath and ask if they have any new stage box for sQ that has expansion card on the horizon.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:08:39 AM »

How about this:

Add Dante card to the SQ

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/sq-dante/

Use Dante stage box DT168

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/dt168/

Run the Sound Grid using the WSG Bridge hooked up to Dante network

https://www.waves.com/hardware/hear-technologies-wsg-bridge#tab-setups

All these on the 96 kHz Dante network out of the SQ Dante expansion board.

Then, on the S-Link port of the SQ console, run the 48 kHz equipments including ME1.

Is there any unseen pitfall with this plan?

Pristine Audio
www.pristine-audio.com

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 08:17:40 AM »

How about this:

Add Dante card to the SQ

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/sq-dante/

Use Dante stage box DT168

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/dt168/

Run the Sound Grid using the WSG Bridge hooked up to Dante network

https://www.waves.com/hardware/hear-technologies-wsg-bridge#tab-setups

All these on the 96 kHz Dante network out of the SQ Dante expansion board.

Then, on the S-Link port of the SQ console, run the 48 kHz equipments including ME1.

Is there any unseen pitfall with this plan?

So far Dante or WSG IO Cards are the best way to utilize DX & ME devices in the SQ ecosystem while running Multirack.

We are all still hoping for a DX2412 with ME expansion port (or similar).

The ME-U is necessary to convert protocols as it has a card slot option.

It is impossible for the DX protocol to run the ME devices directly as it is a 32x32 protocol and the ME devices are 40x60 dSnake protocol. gACE is the only (A&H) protocol that eclipses that.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 08:17:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.