ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC Touchmix 8 woes  (Read 6799 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: QSC Touchmix 8 woes
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 06:26:41 AM »

Hi Frank,

Nope, not a typo. It turned out that my USB soundcard was also a couple of dB down at 5Hz, so it might be more like -3dB at 5Hz. Difficult to say exactly, and it could end up load-dependent in the case of it being capacitors on the input or outputs.
I had expected, with all the analogue-to-digital-and-back conversion, that the phase shifts and distortion levels would be more severe, so I was quite pleasantly surprised to find the mixing desk is that clean. It's not quite as good as a top-end Class A amplifier, but it's not bad at all.

I wouldn't consider it to be in the useful audio range, either, but there are some people that do look for reproduction at those frequencies, often aiming for >110dB, too. Have a look on AVS Forums under the subwoofer and DIY sections. They're pushing the extremes of audio in a different direction to the way we do here, but I still find it interesting to see what everyone's up to from time-to-time.
I'm sure they won't mind me saying that I consider them nutters (people that have gone very over-the-top in their quest, like the car audio SPL competition people whose cars will no longer drive. I don't mean they should be institutionalised), but it's interesting reading all the same.

Chris
I did notice some "phasing/phaser" sounds when I swept the EQ once - a bit surprising, but nothing fatal, to be sure.

5hz at >110dB?  Sounds like one of those sonic weapons the military has.  Driving one to barf the dinner one just fed them is one sure way to get rid of overstaying guests...  Nutters, indeed!

Always learning something here:  having used the TM for over 4 years, it's nice to know that not only does it sound good to me, but measures well, too.  Thanks Chris for sharing!!
frank

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »

The promise of headache free sound.

I'm all for that! Where do I sign up?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.