ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Altec Voice of the theater?  (Read 6239 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Altec Voice of the theater?
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 05:15:16 PM »

I used to work in a 2500 seat theater that had 3 clusters almost identical to this. Left, Center, and Right. Originally they would have powered the horns with a 50 watt Altec mono amp and probably used autoformers to attenuate the horns for coverage. The bass bin would have been powered by a 200 watt mono amp. Altec 1593B and 1590C respectively. The 1593B had a switchable 800hz highpass filter right in the amp.

That same theater had a Technics 1200 turntable hooked up to the console when I started there (early 2000) and I would put on some Steely Dan or Pink Floyd on and listen. It was quite the time machine....

I think they have all been replaced now, but as late as 2008 they were still using the Altecs as mains, although the whole front end was rebuilt. We used Crown K1's to run everything, with BSS processing. It still sounded quite good, but you could tell the magnets were worn out. Each cluster sounded quite different from each other.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Altec Voice of the theater?
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 05:15:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.