ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yamaha DXR mkII series  (Read 13306 times)

Richard Penrose

New Yamaha DXR mkII series
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:16:25 AM »

Yamaha have announced an new DXR mkII series of speakers :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq5u8U0d2D0&feature=em-uploademail

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/speakers/dxr/index.html#product-tabs

It would appear that a lot of things have stayed the same to the the mkI series but with an upgraded and lighter compression driver.

Richard Penrose

Re: New Yamaha DXR mkII series
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:13:38 AM »

As many of you are aware, I have had the original DXR15's for almost 9 years and they have been thoroughly used for a wide range of jobs. Over the years I've tried and compared numerous speakers to the DXR15's and am haven't really found anything that that has made me want to upgrade these that I can realistically afford AND carry!
I've always been extremely impressed at how full range these speakers go. I've even run a fully miked band (drums, bass, 2x keys, 4 vocals) with no backline as the performers were using IEMS at an outdoor amphitheatre. The event had around 240 people attending and the FOH sound completely blew me away for just a single pair of speakers on tripods that cost £1000 new! I love the simplicity of the rear control panel as I don't like having to scroll through fiddly menus! I much prefer to be able to see all the settings at a single glance. The DXR's also look very sharp and professional and the cabinet has really surprised me with how well it has worn after quite so much use.
Yamaha has collaborated with Nexo on these again and I'm really interested to know if the DSP has been updated along with the new compression driver? My one complaint with the DXR15's is they can sound a little scooped and vocals can sound a little recessed. I'm hoping the new larger compression driver will improve this.

I am probably going to change my DXR15's this year as they are now looking a bit tatty for higher end corporate work and I have been considering a few options :-

1/ Buy a new pair of DXR15s
2/ RCF HDM-45a

However, seeing the announcement for the new mkII DXR's has really got me very interested based on my experience with the original mkI. My DXR15's have been extremely reliable! They have been dropped onto a concrete floor and accidentally been driven into permanent clipping for a couple of minutes by a client) and have still continued to perform perfectly! The 7 year warranty is excellent and the value for money from a business aspect is fantastic. My DXR15's have given me a high return and I feel I can really trust the reliability of this product.

The RCF HDM-45a does appear to be a more higher end product. The spec's of the drivers appear to be a step up along with the lower crossover point. The amp module is higher powered and derived from the TT-Touring range and features RD-Net capability.
However, I don't know how much these will cost yet and I would expect them to cost a little more than the NX-45a and 745a which could potentially make them quite a bit more expensive than the DXR's.

I will definitely be trying out the DXR15 mkII's at some point and will ideally like to try and arrange a shootout between those and the RCF HDM-45a's.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 11:05:58 AM »

Looks like they've gone from a 1.4" HF diaphragm to a 1.75". Still a 1" exit. The LF driver and amplifiers all spec the same as the old ones.
Might be an improvement, but I wouldn't ditch the previous models without good reason.

I'm hoping for a price drop on the original line - wouldn't mind a pair of the 8"s for certain duties.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 03:14:55 PM »

I'm hoping for a price drop on the original line - wouldn't mind a pair of the 8"s for certain duties.

Too bad you are not in the USA, because I have a bunch to dump.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Richard Penrose

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »

Yes the compression driver has been upgraded along with the DSP. Will be interesting to hear how much of an improvement this will be.

MikeHarris

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »

Curious if the 12 & 10will see an upgrade.
At present the same diaphragm fits both 12/15

Richard Penrose

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:41:47 AM »

All of the DXR mkII range have the 1.75” compression driver.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »

Talked to my rep at Full Compass today. The MKII DXR series will land stateside sometime in June/July.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 05:33:47 AM »

Great. Will be interested to hear how much of an improvement the new 1.75” compression driver and updated DSP make.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 05:48:26 PM »

I’ve just seen a few stores have listed prices and eta for these in the U.K.
The DXR15 is listed for £875 with an ETA of August 1st. This seems like a pretty big price hike as the mkI DXR15 costs £615. £260 more for a slightly bigger compression driver? It had better be a seriously good sounding one!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 05:48:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.