ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Arrayable Trap Boxes?  (Read 2299 times)

Eric Snodgrass

New Arrayable Trap Boxes?
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:09:45 pm »

Are there any new arrayable trap boxes being made these days? 
I ask because I venue where I work frequently will be needing a system for an open-air outdoor space.  The space is one level, standing-room-only, and at least twice as wide as it is deep.  They don't need a really long throw (probably less than 120') as they don't want the sound significantly bleeding out into the street and park across the way.
Using smaller-format line-array cabinets has been discussed.  But the more I've been thinking about this the more I am convinced that arrayable, flyable point-source boxes might be the way to go.  They have the advantage of being full range already (unlike line-arrays where the low-end extension of the array is determined by the length of the array);  the horizontal spread can be determined and controlled by the number of boxes in each array (where the outside arrays can have a smaller number of boxes so as to keep some of the energy off of the adjacent buildings). 

I know that L'Acoustic has the ARCs.  Are there any other higher-end manufacturers making arrayable boxes? 

Ricky John

Re: New Arrayable Trap Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:31:33 pm »

I ask because I venue where I work frequently will be needing a system for an open-air outdoor space.  The space is one level, standing-room-only, and at least twice as wide as it is deep.  They don't need a really long throw (probably less than 120') as they don't want the sound significantly bleeding out into the street and park across the way.
Using smaller-format line-array cabinets has been discussed.  But the more I've been thinking about this the more I am convinced that arrayable, flyable point-source boxes might be the way to go.  They have the advantage of being full range already (unlike line-arrays where the low-end extension of the array is determined by the length of the array);  the horizontal spread can be determined and controlled by the number of boxes in each array (where the outside arrays can have a smaller number of boxes so as to keep some of the energy off of the adjacent buildings). 

I know that L'Acoustic has the ARCs.  Are there any other higher-end manufacturers making arrayable boxes?

Did you look at Danley Sound Labs?

Paul Miller

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 02:34:59 pm »

Not sure how "new" they are, but the Danley SH46 are arrayable trap boxes. At 40H x 60V, they are meant to be tight packed in arrays of either 2 or 3.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 02:39:10 pm »

They have the advantage of being full range already (unlike line-arrays where the low-end extension of the array is determined by the length of the array); ...

The LF extension of line arrays is not determined by the length of the line.  The directivity changes, as it also does when arraying trap boxes.  With an arrayable trap box you will transition from the horn controlled frequencies to the range that is no longer controlled based upon the size of the horn(s).  Even if there is a horn loaded bass section you would require a very large horn.  Take a look at the Danley Jericho and you will get an idea of the size required for horn control of LF.
With a line array you will transition based on the length of the array. 

There are quite a few options out there.  Have you modeled the venue with any systems yet?

Is this system going to be permanently installed?
I ask because their are more limited options once there is a requirement for IP rated speakers.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 02:41:08 pm »

These are pretty new...http://yorkville.com/synergy/

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 03:07:30 pm »

The LF extension of line arrays is not determined by the length of the line.  The directivity changes, as it also does when arraying trap boxes.  With an arrayable trap box you will transition from the horn controlled frequencies to the range that is no longer controlled based upon the size of the horn(s).  Even if there is a horn loaded bass section you would require a very large horn.  Take a look at the Danley Jericho and you will get an idea of the size required for horn control of LF.
With a line array you will transition based on the length of the array. 

There are quite a few options out there.  Have you modeled the venue with any systems yet?

Is this system going to be permanently installed?
I ask because their are more limited options once there is a requirement for IP rated speakers.

Lee

Thanks for the clarification, Lee.
The system will not be permanently installed.  It will be most likely flown by crank-up lift towers on a per-event basis. 

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 03:09:02 pm »

These are pretty new...http://yorkville.com/synergy/

Thanks for the link and the reminder, Mark.  I had forgotten about these, even though I had read the forum thread about them when they were introduced.  They might really fit the bill. 

Jeffrey Knorr - CobraSound.com

• CobraSound.com
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 03:14:11 pm »

If these are for install, I'd consider:
Danley Sound Labs SH or J series
Fulcrum Acoustic AH series
EAW QX series
JBL PD series

Horns are alive and well! :)

Jeff

Taylor Hall

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 03:25:35 pm »

Meyer UPQ is another option
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 03:28:52 pm »

Sorry I didn't make it clear in my original post.  This will not be a permanent install.  These will be used and flown on a per-event basis.  Portability and ease of rigging will be considerations. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 03:28:52 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.