ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I Replace a 4 Channel Amp with a 2 Channel Amplifier?  (Read 6356 times)

Dan Courtney

Re: Can I Replace a 4 Channel Amp with a 2 Channel Amplifier?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »

What kind of budget are you working with? We could help with a few amplifier suggestions that fit your price range and give you some wiggle room for other upgrades.

I'm looking into Mike's suggestions noted above.

Dan Courtney

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 06:50:55 AM »

If I went with the Crown XLS 1502, how would it be best to wire it to the 2 FOH speakers and the  2 daisy-chained monitors (described above) ? That is how to connect? See back view of amp.

PS The reviews of the Crown XLS are quite impressive including the low fan noise :-)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:53:59 AM by Dan Courtney »

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 07:13:00 AM »

If I went with the Crown XLS 1502, how would it be best to wire it to the 2 FOH speakers and the  2 daisy-chained monitors (described above) ? That is how to connect? See back view of amp.

PS The reviews of the Crown XLS are quite impressive including the low fan noise :-)
Connect one of your FOH speakers to channel output "1" on the amp, and then daisy-chain the other FOH speaker from the first FOH speaker (using the second NL-4 on the back of the speaker).  Then, connect your daisy-chained monitor speakers to channel "2".

Dan Courtney

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 08:33:22 AM »

Connect one of your FOH speakers to channel output "1" on the amp, and then daisy-chain the other FOH speaker from the first FOH speaker (using the second NL-4 on the back of the speaker).  Then, connect your daisy-chained monitor speakers to channel "2".

Thanks, yes daisy-chaining the monitors will work easily. But daisy-chaining the FOH, wall mounted speakers would be a challenge. Could I add banana plugs to one of the FOH cables and use the other Ch 1 outlet on the back of the mixer? (Parallel ??) or a speakon Y adapter out of ch 1??
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:49:07 AM by Dan Courtney »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »

Thanks, yes daisy-chaining the monitors will work easily. But daisy-chaining the FOH, wall mounted speakers would be a challenge. Could I add banana plugs to one of the FOH cables and use the other Ch 1 outlet on the back of the mixer? (Parallel ??) or a speakon Y adapter out of ch 1??

Both of those ideas will work. I'm not a fan of banana plugs, although they have got me out of trouble before now, as they're too easy to have problems with. Either short-circuits or reverse polarity.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dan Courtney

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »

Mike , I went with your suggestion and I'm happy with the Crown XLS 1502. We have lots of headroom for our setting.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:48:36 PM by Dan Courtney »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 01:52:19 AM »

Mike , I went with your suggestion and I'm happy with the Crown XLS 1502. We have lots of headroom for our setting.
Why is the amp in the booth?  That seems like a lot of speaker cable.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Courtney

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 10:33:33 AM »

Why is the amp in the booth?  That seems like a lot of speaker cable.

Good questions, Scott.

Access to the amp allows for fine tuning (HPF) and gain adjustment. (You might notice the black tape over the knobs.) We've been trying different settings. It allows us to turn on the mixer first before the amp and the amp power cord goes into the power line conditioner. Having the amp close will us access to back so that we can quickly switch out the digital mixer for an analog mixer in case of an emergency. Our sound booth is at the back of sanctuary.

Yes, the end of the snake wires are messy. Maybe 90° ends would help. Maybe a digital snake to the stage in the future.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:42:07 PM by Dan Courtney »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 12:46:54 AM »

Good questions, Scott.

Access to the amp allows for fine tuning (HPF) and gain adjustment. (You might notice the black tape over the knobs.) It allows us to turn on the mixer first before the amp and the amp power cord goes into the power line conditioner. Having the amp close will us access to back so that we can quickly switch out the digital mixer for an analog mixer in case of an emergency.

Yes, the end of the snake wires are messy. Maybe 90° ends would help.
I can't think of a reason you would touch the HPF during a production. 

My concern is all the loss of the speaker cable.  Power conditioner is worthless, especially for an amp.   Remote turn on from stage would be the way to go.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Courtney

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 04:05:42 PM »

I can't think of a reason you would touch the HPF during a production. 

My concern is all the loss of the speaker cable.  Power conditioner is worthless, especially for an amp.   Remote turn on from stage would be the way to go.

Hi Scott, (GAVS) Your experience in audio is appreciated. Newbie here.

We wouldn’t be adjusting the HPF during a production but during setup as we trying to get the best sound out of the monitors without over powering them. (We also use the HPF in the Soundcraft mixer.)

I believe that the speaker cable loss is doable according to the charts I’ve looked at. Heavier gauge copper $$$ would always be better.)

The power bar we're using is the Furman M-8x2 Power Conditioner. It’s also a surge protector. (Sweetwater). I have the digital mixer on a UPS in case of any sudden utility power glitches.

I’ll look into that “remote turn on from stage” suggestion.

Actually our mixer could be on stage too … since we run it via Wi-Fi & ethernet.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:33:36 AM by Dan Courtney »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 04:05:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.