ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lab Gruppen C28:4 - 110V to 240V conversion  (Read 2186 times)

Martin Drew

Lab Gruppen C28:4 - 110V to 240V conversion
« on: March 31, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »

I have a US C28:4 that I would like to use in the UK. I have been using an autotransformer as a temporary solution but it's a bit clunky. It should be a straightforward task to replace the relevant components and convert it to a proper 240V version but I don't have access to a service manual to find out the values and types of the 240V variant specific components and any links that need adding or removing etc. Would anyone be able to list the changes required or even better be able to send me a PDF of the service manual?

I do appreciate the safety critical nature of this adaptation

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
Re: Lab Gruppen C28:4 - 110V to 240V conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 01:44:36 AM »

Like most equipment these days that amp will operate on 115 and 230V. Doesn't it say that on the back panel? All you have to do is either get the proper line cord (I can't tell if it plugs into the amp or not) or just cut the plug off and replace it with one that fits your receptacle. Hopefully you will know how to wire it correctly.

-Hal

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »

Like most equipment these days that amp will operate on 115 and 230V. Doesn't it say that on the back panel? All you have to do is either get the proper line cord (I can't tell if it plugs into the amp or not) or just cut the plug off and replace it with one that fits your receptacle. Hopefully you will know how to wire it correctly.

-Hal
The C series is limited in supply voltage range.  If it’s a “US” version it is limited to 110-120vac.
It seems like it would be major surgery to replace the power supply in these, but I’m watching with interest, as we have several that would benefit.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 08:29:01 PM »

That's not what I'm seeing on their website unless yours is vintage because what they show will handle 115/230. It's in the specs and also the label on the back of the amp in the picture.

Do you have the original instruction manual?

If it is truly the case though there is no practical way to convert it.
-Hal

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:54:20 PM »

That's not what I'm seeing on their website unless yours is vintage because what they show will handle 115/230. It's in the specs and also the label on the back of the amp in the picture.

Do you have the original instruction manual?

-Hal

...from the c28:4 spec sheet on Lab Gruppen site

Martin Drew

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 05:30:23 AM »

Whether it is practical or not is going to be down to the individual. It suspect is likely to be straightforward but only with access to the service manual. I had a quick look through the FP6400 manual and assuming it requires a similar level of surgery, there are about 50 components which need to be changed, mostly across 2 boards. None of the components are exotic. So not as simple as changing a few jumpers but totally doable.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 01:07:02 AM »

...from the c28:4 spec sheet on Lab Gruppen site
This is what I saw- https://www.labgruppen.com/Categories/Labgruppen/Power-Amplifiers/Installed-Sound/C-28%3A4/p/P0CPF/Specifications#googtrans(en|en)
Now that I see yours I see that there are footnotes that are conveniently missing.

If that's not bad enough they print "130-265V" on the back panel with no explanation.

If I connected one to 230 and it blew up they would owe me a new one just for their stupidity!

Quote from: Martin Drew
Whether it is practical or not is going to be down to the individual. It suspect is likely to be straightforward but only with access to the service manual. I had a quick look through the FP6400 manual and assuming it requires a similar level of surgery, there are about 50 components which need to be changed, mostly across 2 boards. None of the components are exotic. So not as simple as changing a few jumpers but totally doable.
Knock yourself out!
-Hal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 01:07:02 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 25 queries.