ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First post - Just took the DSR112 plunge  (Read 4480 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: First post - Just took the DSR112 plunge
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »

Hello Everyone,

First post here.....I've been reading this forum as I search for new mains and wanted to thank everyone here for all the advice and comments that eventually let to me ordering some DSR112's this morning (along with PRX815XLFW's for bottoms).

My use is live music, not DJ, and I play in a variety of bands where we have no back line - everything goes through the PA - vocals, acoustic instruments, guitars (Fractal modeling amps), and sometimes even the bass and drums (mainly just kick and snare). Shows can be outdoors or indoors, and typically on the smaller side with max being around a few hundred people. As I wind up hauling and setup/take down by myself, weight and bulk are a consideration. We use IEM's mainly to reduce haulage and ease setup, but love the consistent sound on stage and reduced bleed for the audience.

The mains I'm replacing are EV SXa250's that I've had for a long time and have served me well. They are about as big and heavy as I want to carry, so having 4 smaller/lighter boxes will be nice. I like the sound of these older EV's, so fingers crossed I like the sound of the DSR112's over subs better. All the great comments and reviews here make me confident I will...plus many Fractal and Kemper players have selected the DSR112 as a guitar speaker for their rigs. Guitar and vocals are 90% of what my mains need to deliver, so we should be good.

And while I'm introducing myself, I am much more of a studio engineer/musician than a live engineer/musician. I own and run a recording studio, have a EE degree, teach guitar as a day job, do session work, but don't play out or do live sound work all that often. Seems like a great bunch of real professionals on this forum and I've enjoyed your posts. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you all!

Thanks,
Mark
San Jose, CA

Mark;

I'd be interested in your comparison between the SXA250 and the DSR112. I have 4 of the Sxa250's that I have been very happy with using for monitors and smaller shows as mains but lighter is better ;-) . Output and overall sound difference would be nice to know. As you know the SXA250 is a nice quality box. I always got good comments from guitar players who needed their guitars in their monitors too. Great feedback rejection for what they are.
   Welcome to the PSW Lab and looking forward to your thoughts on the DSR112.

Douglas R. Allen

Jay Marr

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »

I'm a fractal guy as well, running DSR112s over JBL SRX718/728 subs.
You're going to love your Axe through the DSRs.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 10:27:35 PM »

Luke, Scott,

Thanks and yes, I realize there is nothing I can do about he max freq of the sub. Interesting Scott (and encouraging) that you found just running as single line to the sub (full range) and using the HP in the sub out to the tops worked best. I'm all for simple and go to great lengths to make setup/take down easier and faster. I'll certainly try it this way and see what sounds best.

Douglas,

I love my SXa250's and sounds like you feel the same. For this reason I've been very hesitant to replace them - they sound great and I get complements on them all the time. I'll be doing some side by side comparisons with the D112's first chance I get and will let you know my thoughts.

Jay,

Awesome! I love my AX8 through the SXa250's (have a CLR Neo MkII as well), but my Axe Fx III should arrive shortly before the new tops and bottoms.....gonna be fun! Only "downside" is only the audience will get to enjoy it as I typically use IEM's (which sound fantastic BTW).

Jay Marr

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »

Jay,

Awesome! I love my AX8 through the SXa250's (have a CLR Neo MkII as well), but my Axe Fx III should arrive shortly before the new tops and bottoms.....gonna be fun! Only "downside" is only the audience will get to enjoy it as I typically use IEM's (which sound fantastic BTW).

I have a couple of CLR's as well.  If you build your patches on the CLR, they will translate well to the DSRs.
The Yamahas are a little brighter than the CLRs, but that works in your favor when the Yamahas are used as FOH (your guitar and vox will cut through the mix very well).
(AX8 and Axe III user over here)

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 07:59:11 PM »

Luke, Scott,

Thanks and yes, I realize there is nothing I can do about he max freq of the sub. Interesting Scott (and encouraging) that you found just running as single line to the sub (full range) and using the HP in the sub out to the tops worked best. I'm all for simple and go to great lengths to make setup/take down easier and faster. I'll certainly try it this way and see what sounds best.

Douglas,

I love my SXa250's and sounds like you feel the same. For this reason I've been very hesitant to replace them - they sound great and I get complements on them all the time. I'll be doing some side by side comparisons with the D112's first chance I get and will let you know my thoughts.

Jay,

Hi Mark,

I have a friend that got one of the first Axe III Fx sold.  I have a Kemper.  Both sounded pretty darned awesome with the DSR112's :)

Jay Marr

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »

Hi Mark,

I have a friend that got one of the first Axe III Fx sold.  I have a Kemper.  Both sounded pretty darned awesome with the DSR112's :)

I've got a Kemper as well.  Just fired up my Axe III for a few minutes.  Really hard to choose between the two.
Kemper is better at capturing a raw amp tone.  Axe is way more flexible and tweakable (create your dream amp virtually).
Love them both and they both sound killer through the DSRs.

Good FOH speakers and the choice of high end model/profile units is making life so easy for dialing in killer mixes live.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 09:52:52 PM »

I wouldn't get too worried about the crossover points.  You are probably going to run the subs hotter so the effective crossover point will move higher.  You'll probably get an excess at 80-150 which you can dial out with eq.

I've had DSR's for a few years now.  The Sx250/300s are really warm sounding.  The DRS is not strident (I hate that) but not as "warm" as the EV.  You will get a clarity and separation you're not used to.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 01:27:45 AM »

I wouldn't get too worried about the crossover points.  You are probably going to run the subs hotter so the effective crossover point will move higher.  You'll probably get an excess at 80-150 which you can dial out with eq.

I've had DSR's for a few years now.  The Sx250/300s are really warm sounding.  The DRS is not strident (I hate that) but not as "warm" as the EV.  You will get a clarity and separation you're not used to.

Thanks Stephen! I'll take clarity and separation any day. I can always add "warmth" via saturation, bus compression, etc, but hard to get more clarity out of a warm speaker. BTW check out the frequency response curves for the SXa250's vs the DSR112's -

SXa250 - https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/SxA250%20EDS.pdf

DSR112 - https://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/32666-YamahaDSR112Datasheet.pdf

I realize frequency response isn't everything, but the DSR112 is flatter and offers more low end. Also note the 250 has little notches just below and just above 1kHz. Wonder if that was an artifact from the equalization circuit they placed on the back?

And on the subs, I was thinking the same thing, just use the built in crossover and then eq my main outs to fix any bumps.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 01:27:45 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.