ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting Moving Fixtures On Non-Standard Angles  (Read 2568 times)

Don Lomonaco

Mounting Moving Fixtures On Non-Standard Angles
« on: July 29, 2019, 11:13:47 AM »

Hi all!  I need some input regarding hanging moving fixtures on non-standard angles (angles other than parallel to the ceiling/floor).  Please see the attached picture for and example of what I'm talking about.  In instances like these, I see two issues.

1. Is there a way to tell the fixture that there is a new x/y/z orientation so that traditional directions of up/down/left/right make practical sense for an operator?

2. Which makes and models have the best construction in order to not put undue strain on pan/tilt motors that were meant to be operated on traditional flat mounts/hangs?

What else am I missing?

Don Lomonaco

Worship Arts Director of Technology

Taylor Hall

Re: Mounting Moving Fixtures On Non-Standard Angles
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 11:32:37 AM »

For your first point, that's really down to the controller being used and how your scenes and chases are set up. If care is taken while creating those, then the angle of the fixture won't matter to the operator unless they're trying to do stuff on the fly which can be a recipe for disaster if they don't know what they're doing.

For your second point, I would be more concerned with the robustness of the mounting solutions of your fixtures than the motors. Since you're changing the load vector by mounting the fixture at a 45°, you're probably more likely to see a bracket bend or a clamp fail before a motor does. For smaller movers this probably isn't an issue, and if you're planning on using a standard goalpost kit like you have pictured is probably all you'll need.

What exactly are the specs for your project (room size, stage size, etc)?
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Don Lomonaco

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »

For your first point, that's really down to the controller being used and how your scenes and chases are set up. If care is taken while creating those, then the angle of the fixture won't matter to the operator unless they're trying to do stuff on the fly which can be a recipe for disaster if they don't know what they're doing.

For your second point, I would be more concerned with the robustness of the mounting solutions of your fixtures than the motors. Since you're changing the load vector by mounting the fixture at a 45°, you're probably more likely to see a bracket bend or a clamp fail before a motor does. For smaller movers this probably isn't an issue, and if you're planning on using a standard goalpost kit like you have pictured is probably all you'll need.

What exactly are the specs for your project (room size, stage size, etc)?

No specific project in mind.  I'm just speaking hypothetically at this point.  I'd like to have more flexibility in the future so that's why I'm seeking input at this time.  Having better mounting fixtures due to the angle is also something that seems important. Thanks!
Don Lomonaco

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 11:53:18 AM »

Read the owner's manual/user's guide for any fixture you are considering.  That document will (should) disclose any limitations the manufactuer has on mounting orientation.

As a further echo on mounting brackets, other things being equal, a wider surface area on the O-clamp will better distribute the load on the truss.  Hanging from a horizontal element isn't much of a concern (in my view), but angled or vertical mounting will tend to load the lower corner of the clamp. "DJ" truss is often uses a thinner wall section of tubing than does "standard duty" truss. (2mm/.080" vs. 3mm/.125".)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Don Lomonaco

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »

Read the owner's manual/user's guide for any fixture you are considering.  That document will (should) disclose any limitations the manufactuer has on mounting orientation.

As a further echo on mounting brackets, other things being equal, a wider surface area on the O-clamp will better distribute the load on the truss.  Hanging from a horizontal element isn't much of a concern (in my view), but angled or vertical mounting will tend to load the lower corner of the clamp. "DJ" truss is often uses a thinner wall section of tubing than does "standard duty" truss. (2mm/.080" vs. 3mm/.125".)

Can you recommend some models that would be suited to this type of application?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:50:14 PM by Don Lomonaco »
Don Lomonaco

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 01:05:08 PM »

I would consider fixtures that use 2 clamps rather than just one.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 02:03:07 PM »

Can you recommend some models that would be suited to this type of application?

So what is your application?  What is your budget?  What lux do you need at what distance?  What type of moving head fixture are you looking for/at?  Wash?  Spot?  Beam?  How many channels of control are you willing to dedicate to each fixture? 

As an example, a Chauvet Pro Maverick Mk I spot is a pretty versitile fixture; it might be more than you need, and/or cost more than you want to spend.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 08:39:31 PM »

Hi Don, since your second question has been sufficiently answered I'll focus on your first question, but without more details it's very difficult to recommend a specific unit.  Most DJ-grade moving lights are small enough that their physical orientation doesn't matter, but you still need to read the manual.

Talking about pan and tilt, the answer to your question is both yes and no.  Many units can inverse pan and tilt to accommodate variety in hanging, but no fixture I'm aware of on the market will merge attributes such as you describe.  The programming on your console is where the "yes" part of the answer comes from.  Regardless of user interface, your console will always command the pan/tilt attributes of a moving light independently because of how the fixture is expecting to receive instructions. 

The only way to really handle the type of translation you're describing is to use an arrangement of focus palettes - assuming that your console is advanced enough to include them.  While tools such as memories or submasters could work to an extent, palettes are the way to go so that you can properly mix HTP and LTP as needed to result in the desired behavior.  Even then, moving heads have a bit of a "swing" to them which is often exaggerated when hung at unusual angles, so a nonlinear translation of each attribute will likely be needed to give you a straight line of movement.  Hope this helps!   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 08:39:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.