ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Yamaha MC7Ls with Ethersound cards installed...  (Read 2448 times)

Geri O'Neil

Updating Yamaha MC7Ls with Ethersound cards installed...
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »

I've been asked about updating several Yamaha M7CLs at a church nearby. They all have 3 EtherSound cards installed in the MY slots. I'm not sure if the exact model of the cards installed.

While I'm well-familiar with the update process, I've not had the pleasure of updating an M7 with any cards installed. Does anyone know if I will need to update the firmware in the Ethersound cards as well?

It's my understanding that the consoles are currently at 3.5.x, but I have to verify that, which makes this a pretty broad question. Of course, those cards are no longer made and there's no reference to them on the Auvitran site, that I was able to find, anyway. 

Thanx for any advice (other than the usual comments and snickers about M7s still being in use by anyone on the planet.... ::))
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:51:04 AM by Geri O'Neil »

Scott Helmke

Re: Updating Yamaha MC7Ls with Ethersound cards installed...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 01:10:26 PM »

The cards will be an entirely different update process. 

And you don't need to worry about them being in the slots while you're updating the M7CL.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 03:25:26 PM »

The cards will be an entirely different update process. 

And you don't need to worry about them being in the slots while you're updating the M7CL.

Thanx, Scott. Would you know if the cards need to be updated as well? The Yamaha download page lists the version of Ethersound firmware compatible with the current M7 firmware I’m about to install.

I think I’m gonna have to go armed with notebook, USB sticks and and hopefully their good internet connection and just see exactly what firmware is on what device before I proceed.

Thanx again.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »

Thanx, Scott. Would you know if the cards need to be updated as well? The Yamaha download page lists the version of Ethersound firmware compatible with the current M7 firmware I’m about to install.

Are you sure that document is referring to EtherSound MY cards? There was a version of the M7CL (the -48ES) that had basically no local I/O but instead had EtherSound built-in, and I think firmware for the built-in EtherSound hardware is what the compatibility chart is referring to, not MY card firmware.

-Russ

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 08:05:38 PM »

Are you sure that document is referring to EtherSound MY cards? There was a version of the M7CL (the -48ES) that had basically no local I/O but instead had EtherSound built-in, and I think firmware for the built-in EtherSound hardware is what the compatibility chart is referring to, not MY card firmware.

-Russ

Excellent point, Russ, thanx!

There was a footnote on the chart that said “applies only to ...the ES model. I guess that’s what was referred to.

I’m just concerned about updating the desks without knowing whether the cards will be functional with the latest firmware of the desk.

MikeHarris

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 04:56:20 AM »

Logic would say make sure it all works before you update..then look for reasons if it don’t.
If I recall it used a master card (nor Visa) and 2x MY16EX expander cards. Upgrading console shouldnt affect the MY cards..shouldn’t  but ?.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:41:01 PM »

Those Yamaha "Mini YGDAI" cards are extremely universal across the product line and it's been a standard for something like 20 years. So the card is extremely unlikely to care what version the console is running at.  Most of the earlier cards don't even have a way to update firmware. 

The only thing that *might* be an issue is if you were doing something like LS9 head amp control through the card slot - on the M7CL and earlier head amp control was done through a separate RS232 jack.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »

Those Yamaha "Mini YGDAI" cards are extremely universal across the product line and it's been a standard for something like 20 years. So the card is extremely unlikely to care what version the console is running at.  Most of the earlier cards don't even have a way to update firmware. 

The only thing that *might* be an issue is if you were doing something like LS9 head amp control through the card slot - on the M7CL and earlier head amp control was done through a separate RS232 jack.

Thanx, Scott.

I’ve searched until my eyes glazed over this weekend and I can’t find anything about updating those cards. I have an email into AuviTran (sp?), but nothing yet. Not to mention, I haven’t made contact with the client yet. So I’m gonna keep digging, but Scott, I think you are right about the lack of an update path. I have some time to plan this out. Including a presentation about the benefits of upgrading consoles (although I won’t press the issue if they are settled in to their system. I’m not in that business anyway).

Thanx for the interest, guys.

Steven Cohen

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »

Gerri,

We had three MCL-7s with the EtherSound cards and SB-1608 stageboxes. We updated the firmware several times on each console and the Ethersound card was not effected. The only time we had to connect directly to the card with AuviTran Monitor software was to change head amp control when we moved the card to a newer model console to change head amp control from console RS-422 control, to internal card control.

If you need to update the firmware on the EtherSound card and stagebox, I believe the software needed is AVS Firmware Updater.

If you ever want to move the card and stagebox to a newer Yamaha console, you will need to use AVS Monitor to change head amp control so that the card controls head amps internally.

Here is a link to both AuviTran AVS firmware updater and AVS Monitor,

https://www.auvitran.com/software/

Thanx, Scott.

I’ve searched until my eyes glazed over this weekend and I can’t find anything about updating those cards. I have an email into AuviTran (sp?), but nothing yet. Not to mention, I haven’t made contact with the client yet. So I’m gonna keep digging, but Scott, I think you are right about the lack of an update path. I have some time to plan this out. Including a presentation about the benefits of upgrading consoles (although I won’t press the issue if they are settled in to their system. I’m not in that business anyway).

Thanx for the interest, guys.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »

Thanx, Steven, that's very helpful, too.

Also, I finally received a response from Auvitran that verified everything we were thinking (well, I was asking and YOU guys were telling... ;D). No need to update the cards with the console as they are configured and used now. And like Steven did, Auvutran sent a link to the Ethersound Firmware Updater and Monitor, should the need arise.

So I'm ready to take this plunge.

Thanx again, everyone. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.