ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC dataport cables?  (Read 3171 times)

Mark Wilkinson

QSC dataport cables?
« on: March 28, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »

Any reason not to use regular HD15 computer cables for dataport connections?  (less than 5ft runs)

Manual says not to, but that's all i have right now...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: QSC dataport cables?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 02:15:46 PM »

Any reason not to use regular HD15 computer cables for dataport connections?  (less than 5ft runs)

Manual says not to, but that's all i have right now...

Try it and see?

I can't see why it wouldn't work. People have been using Dsub connectors for years on audio stuff. I don't know what the dataport sends exactly, but it's probably not high speed enough to warrant a super special cable unless you're going a long distance...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »

OK, did a cursory search. The connector and the cable are fine for the use, but the dataport cable is wired 1 to 1 on the pins. Most VGA has some shared grounds going on. Thats the problem. So, if you have the ability to find or make some 1 to 1 VGA cable you are good to go.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »

OK, did a cursory search. The connector and the cable are fine for the use, but the dataport cable is wired 1 to 1 on the pins. Most VGA has some shared grounds going on. Thats the problem. So, if you have the ability to find or make some 1 to 1 VGA cable you are good to go.

Thank you Tim.  That's the info I needed !

Taylor Hall

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »

Those ends are easy enough to get a hold of to make your own cables, only a few dollars off amazon or parts express.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »

Those ends are easy enough to get a hold of to make your own cables, only a few dollars off amazon or parts express.

A true dataport cable will have the positive and negative wires twisted together like a true balanced XLR connection would.   This wont be the case for a VGA cable.     I have an apple box of these cables.  You cover shipping you have what you need.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »

Thanks Taylor.  Qsc spare parts surprised me by only wanting $6 per cable
(but I got gigged  >:(   on a couple of phoenix connectors that I gave up trying to match )

Just checked the computer cables I had in the old parts bins...and as you said Tim, shared grounds. You saved me a big screwup!

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »

A true dataport cable will have the positive and negative wires twisted together like a true balanced XLR connection would.   This wont be the case for a VGA cable.     I have an apple box of these cables.  You cover shipping you have what you need.

Ah dang, thanks David....already ordered some ...

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »

Try it and see?

I can't see why it wouldn't work. People have been using Dsub connectors for years on audio stuff. I don't know what the dataport sends exactly, but it's probably not high speed enough to warrant a super special cable unless you're going a long distance...

Here is some data about all of the "data" on a dataport.

http://q-syshelp.qschome.com/Content/Amplifiers__Loudspeakers_and_DataPorts/005_DataPort_Pinout.htm
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »

Here is some data about all of the "data" on a dataport.

http://q-syshelp.qschome.com/Content/Amplifiers__Loudspeakers_and_DataPorts/005_DataPort_Pinout.htm

Thx again David,

Yeah, I ran into that page before i posted asking if regular computer cables could work.
Without getting deep into the pinouts, it now looks to me like you could really screw up the qsc stuff with computer cables

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.