Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

How to terminate NEMA14-50R for portable use

(1/6) > >>

Jeremy Young:
Hi folks,

I'm looking into getting another feeder cable for my distro (50A/230v Peavey 2RU rackmount unit). It has a NEMA14-50P tail on it.  I already own a 50' male to female extension but could use a 100' one on occasion and am shopping around to decide whether that makes sense to purchase or rent. 

That aside, the NEMA14-50 connection works well for me for what is available to connect to in the places I find myself, but the female receptacle end on the extension always needs to go in a box of some kind as I've never seen an inline female cord end in the NEMA14-50 variety.  (Ideally someone will know of one and this line of questioning all goes away).

Since I'm going 100' I wanted to use 4/4 SOOW, but the outside diameter of that cable is just over 1-1/4" and it would prove difficult to put into a 4x4 box, as well as the difficulty of wiring it without needing an extension ring etc. 

My question here, is whether I would be OK to use such a box in a portable environment?  From reading some comments on this thread it seems (to me) that boxes intended for permanent installation would not be acceptable in a portable format.

My current 50' cable uses 6/4, and a molded box for the receptacle.  Is that any better than a metal box?

For those using NEMA14-50 distros, how have you terminated your extension cable ends, or do you use a 50A twist lock and adapt to 14-50 when needed? I like the idea of inline locking connectors like that, but I'm still not sure I'd want a connection like that halfway across a field if it can be avoided.  I have some self-amalgamating tape I could use to better seal that, but what is the best practice here?

Thanks to anyone who can chime in.

Tim McCulloch:
https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-60839-00-14-50R-Assembly-Connector/dp/B01M4P8WRB/

Mark Cadwallader:
My LEX 50 amp 120/240 distro has CS 65 series input and through. I have one 10' length of 4/4 SOOW with a NEMA 14-50P end and the "California" CS 6564 twist-lock connector on the other end.  That lets me use CS series extensions of various lengths as needed. I also have a 6/4 NEMA 14-30P cable to use if that's the best circuit I can use.  I suppose an L14-30 adapter might be useful at some point too; but that's for another day. 

Jeremy Young:
Tim, thank you.  Despite my best google work I could not find something like that.  I'll send that link to my electrical supply house and see if they have something similar.

Mark, that's a good idea about using the short jumper to allow you to use twist-lock.  I have a 2' twist-lock to NEMA14-40R adapter tail that I've had to use exactly once so far, but an L14-30 adapter also makes sense.  Good things to think about.

I certainly came to the right place, thanks gents!

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Young on March 28, 2019, 01:15:49 pm ---Tim, thank you.  Despite my best google work I could not find something like that.  I'll send that link to my electrical supply house and see if they have something similar.

Mark, that's a good idea about using the short jumper to allow you to use twist-lock.  I have a 2' twist-lock to NEMA14-40R adapter tail that I've had to use exactly once so far, but an L14-30 adapter also makes sense.  Good things to think about.

I certainly came to the right place, thanks gents!

--- End quote ---

Not sure if the terms are the same up in the Great White North, but down here in the Colonies the electrical trade uses the term "connector" to refer to a female, cord-mounted receptacle.  They use the term "plug" to refer to a cord-mounted male device.  This might help your google-foo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version