ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Auditorium Storage  (Read 4040 times)

David Jameson

• SR Forums
Auditorium Storage
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »

For you guys who manage auditorium/theaters....how and where do you store cabling (ie. XLR, powercon, power, stage snakes, etc)?  Looking for ideas to better handle our gear and make it easier to access and manage.

Thanks in advance.
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Roland Clarke

Re: Auditorium Storage
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:47:49 AM »

I would always put it in a sectioned off trunk or two.  I’ve seen too many sound cupboards where you have to collect stuff then carry it out, gets to be a pain if it full band jobs.

Rick Earl

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:57 AM »

For you guys who manage auditorium/theaters....how and where do you store cabling (ie. XLR, powercon, power, stage snakes, etc)?  Looking for ideas to better handle our gear and make it easier to access and manage.

Thanks in advance.

All of our lighting cables and unused lighting inventory live in our trap room, with cables hanging on the wall.

Data Cable, XLR, Powercon, AC and Snakes all live in trunks, and basically get moved around a lot because we don't have enough storage space. It does make it easier for concerts, since those tend to need the most cabling.  All of our trunks are sized so they are easily stacked.  Except for the main 48 Pair Snake - too heavy.  It  will soon be on it's way out though, as we are almost completely digital with remote stage boxes now.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »

Thanks in advance.

If your space is large make most of your storage portable. The common items you use can get wheeled out on stage, set-up, and the left overs put away after. Tables on wheels can be handy for portable work surfaces as well. If possible store some items close to where they will get used- for instance keep some XLR, AC, adapters etc at the FOH position so the operator doesn't have to walk to the storage each time they need something. The items that are used infrequently can have permanent homes off stage.

I don't like to use trunks for cables in a venue if I can help it. Hard to see what's in the trunk, and you have to reach down to pick something up. I much prefer rolling cable rack type set-ups that keep the cables up higher and easier to see.

David Jameson

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:26:45 PM »

Thanks for the comments.

We have no storage anywhere.  Currently all cables are in plastic bins in the audio control booth and mic stands are in the corner.  I was thinking of possibly some type of lockable cabinet to place in one of the side stage wings.  Anything better than what is being done now!! 

Thanks again for your time and comments.
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »

If you can drill...  rolling storage and a lockable gear pen.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Taylor Hall

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »

Yeah, a rolling coffin or cabinet is definitely in your future. At my college they had several heavy duty cabinets like this: https://www.uline.com/Product/ProductDetailRootItem?modelnumber=H-7812

That were gutted and had custom wood shelves and pegs installed for various cords and equipment. They were chained to some nearby piping so they wouldn't be rolled off when they weren't supposed to.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Bob Stone

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »

We had fairly large locked cabinets back stage that had most of that stuff with shelves and hooks for various things. Another locked cabinet up in the control booth for the relevant stuff up there too. We then had a locked storage room off the main theatre for the bigger infrequently used items.

John Fruits

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 05:12:38 PM »

How about a cable version of a "meat rack"?  Combine ideas from these two and add your own features.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Stage-lighting-storage-and-work-cart/
https://www.stolaf.edu/nbs/NBS_Aug_09/ProductionCasebook/ProductionCasebook.html
I'm thinking of adding a short front and back panel for the base section, maybe with some dividers front and back for power cables, sub snakes and power stringers.  Then add a plywood panel from left to right in the upper half with brackets for other cables, maybe dmx and powercon on one side and audio on the other. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 12:23:22 AM »

When I do weekend-long gigs in hotel ballrooms or public venues I use a rolling security cage like THIS so that I can keep stuff handy but secured. I sort cables and small electronics into plastic bins that stack inside the cage.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 12:23:22 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.